VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really could use some help here I have a bit of a problem, on all three of my Packard Bell computers that use Windows 3.1 it navigates folders with a single click rather than a double. Pretty sure normal Win 3.1 doesn't do this so this is Packard Bell specific, how do I change it to double click and left click to pull up menu's?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.. That's odd. Could be some sort of bug. Did you apply the free update to 3.11 already ?
Just asking, maybe the problem is something else (does anybody here know if Win 3.1 has a secret single-click option ?)
Anyway, I also encountered strange behavior some time ago: Double clicking didn't work.
Whenever I tried to launch Winfile in Program-Manager, the properties dialog opened instead.
A reboot solved that problem (it happened when running Win 3.10)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you say it "navigates folders", are you referring to folders in the Windows 3.x File Manager, the program groups in Program Manager, or something else?

Are you using some flavor of "Packard Bell Navigator" ?
http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav.html

Reply 3 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm talking about the folders / groups in program manager and when you single click a program it opens the properties menu as if you right clicked. Defintely not Navigator, I own quite a few Packard Bells and I know the difference from the Navigator and plain Windows.

Reply 4 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do the mouse and keyboard otherwise appear to be functioning normally?

Are you running anything in Windows 3.1 that requires you to double-click, in which double-clicking works properly?

Reply 5 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Hmm.. That's odd. Could be some sort of bug. Did you apply the free update to 3.11 already ? Just asking, maybe the problem is s […]
Show full quote

Hmm.. That's odd. Could be some sort of bug. Did you apply the free update to 3.11 already ?
Just asking, maybe the problem is something else (does anybody here know if Win 3.1 has a secret single-click option ?)
Anyway, I also encountered strange behavior some time ago: Double clicking didn't work.
Whenever I tried to launch Winfile in Program-Manager, the properties dialog opened instead.
A reboot solved that problem (it happened when running Win 3.10)

Could you link to the update for WIndows 3.1 that you mentioned? I think it may simply be a difference from 3.1 to 3.11 cause I noticed in another persons video that was using bone stock 3.1 on a VM it behaved the same way.

Reply 6 of 16, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure your mouse is okay? The last time I've experienced such behaviour was when my mouse's microswitches failed.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 7 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I'm sure. The mouse is fine double click works as it should in the mouse properties and when opening programs. I'm 99% sure this is just a thing with Windows 3.10

Reply 8 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

I'm 99% sure this is just a thing with Windows 3.10

There appears to be little basis for that degree of certainty.

Anyway, looks like MDGX has a link:
http://www.mdgx.com/w31toy.htm
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/WW0981.EXE

I'm not sure if the second link is working right now, but if all else fails you can just Google for WW0981.EXE.

Reply 10 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure what causes his problem, but I've seen worse.
For example, my copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is not compatible with my Compaq Contura notebook:

After the splash screen, the system would nolonger respond. No idea, if the system really hangs or if it is just mouse/keyboard not
responding anymore (have to check).

Anyway, the original Windows 3.10 does work fine on the Contura. As does Windows 3.0a, Windows 2.x and OS/2 2.11.
Of course, I initally expected the WfW 3.11 installation to be broken, but that wasn't the case.

The same set of disks did work just fine in DOSBox and on a 586 machine..
So what was happening ? Perhaps it was related to changes in code - WfW is more dependend on VXD files than ealier releases before.

That's just pure speculation, of course. But I'm curious whether or not his double-click problem also appears in standard mode
(win /s or for true 286 standard mode, c:\windows>\system\dosx).

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
I'm not sure what causes his problem, but I've seen worse. For example, my copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is not compatible […]
Show full quote

I'm not sure what causes his problem, but I've seen worse.
For example, my copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is not compatible with my Compaq Contura notebook:

After the splash screen, the system would nolonger respond. No idea, if the system really hangs or if it is just mouse/keyboard not
responding anymore (have to check).

Anyway, the original Windows 3.10 does work fine on the Contura. As does Windows 3.0a, Windows 2.x and OS/2 2.11.
Of course, I initally expected the WfW 3.11 installation to be broken, but that wasn't the case.

The same set of disks did work just fine in DOSBox and on a 586 machine..
So what was happening ? Perhaps it was related to changes in code - WfW is more dependend on VXD files than ealier releases before.

That's just pure speculation, of course. But I'm curious whether or not his double-click problem also appears in standard mode
(win /s or for true 286 standard mode, c:\windows>\system\dosx).

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 will not work (i.e. stays frozen with the splash page) if its network ability enabled, and the PC is not connected to a network. Maybe you already know that, and your problem is something else, but just in case, here is the reminder 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turns out I'm just not used to Windows 3.1, I think it's just ordinary. Click once for a menu double click to open.

Gotta say though, Windows 3.1 fucking sucks. No idea how it won out over Geowork Ensemble or OS/2 since you had to quit out of it to run any games reliably anyhow whereas in the others you didn't and they were better and easier to use. 🤣

Reply 13 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

No idea how it won out over Geowork Ensemble or OS/2 since you had to quit out of it to run any games reliably anyhow whereas in the others you didn't and they were better and easier to use. 🤣

I find it very unlikely that most games would run reliably without exiting Geoworks Ensemble, but then I can't say I've tried.

Reply 15 of 16, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Turns out I'm just not used to Windows 3.1, I think it's just ordinary. Click once for a menu double click to open.

Gotta say though, Windows 3.1 fucking sucks. No idea how it won out over Geowork Ensemble or OS/2 since you had to quit out of it to run any games reliably anyhow whereas in the others you didn't and they were better and easier to use. 🤣

Some later games did run more or less reliably on Win 3.1x (whether Win 3.1x ran reliably was another question 🤣 ). OS/2 was of course limited to IBM machines. Just blame M$' dirty tactics.

Just like with DR-DOS and GEM, really.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I never had real issues with Windows 3.10 and I also liked the fact that it was actually usable on 16bit machines. ^^
Wait - perhaps that's the reason! I rarely ran it in enhanced mode or installed any VXD drivers..
OS/2 on the other hand was really cool, if it just only hadn't such high memory requirements (8MiB; 16MiB for real use).
GEM was also interesting. My father told me about it from the days he was using a PC1512. I got my first copy at the flea market, I think.
After using Windows 3.x (and 2.03), though, it looked somewhat dated and limited. No scalable windows, no real control panel, no settings for fonts/colours/printers, etc.
If some looks at ViewMax, someone could think development went backwards at DR. Very sad.
At least the Atari ST got away with a working implementation of GEM.. :)

//My video channel//