VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So as the title says, I've got a disc with ~8MB of useless stuff burned onto it. It's a multisession disc and still open. Anyone know if it's possible to deactivate/disable/hide the stuff on the first session and make it appear to only contain what I write to it in new sessions? It was my understanding that multisession burning writes a new TOC each time a session is added.

I realize obviously I can't get the space back, I just want to hide the junk that's already on there. Any ideas?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect that no matter what you do, the old session will still be discoverable using a tool like ISO Buster.

I'm kind of drawing a blank otherwise. I guess you could make a new session that includes a set of files with the same names but zero length, but that won't hide the filenames.

Reply 2 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ I don't care that much, I just want them not to show in standard use (file managers, directory listings, etc.) I'm making discs up to give away at an event & I suspect 100% of my target audience isn't going to do data forensics to discover the obsolete USB-RS232 drivers that have been hidden away.

(As to why I need to use this particular disc instead of a fresh one, have you guys tried to find 8cm CD-Rs lately?? I only have 10, and this is one of them. 😜 )

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:

I'm pretty sure I could "delete" files on disc in Nero, and after burning a new session with new TOC those files would disappear.

...but the files won't be really deleted. Any software capable of accessing individual sessions could access a previous session and list/read/copy those unlisted files (even if you "overwrite" those files using new versions of that files).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 7, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes you can, but not reliably. It'll probably work with most modern drives but don't rely on it.

By default the drives should look at the last session. A small minority will only ever look at the first session.

A very small minority of drives (I have an IBM 2x SCSI CDROM drive that features this, no other drives I have managed last time I checked years ago) allow for the session to be selected. This was using some OS/2 burning software though, maybe modern software is more flexible..