VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to make awe64 value sound card to work in old dos games that only support basic sound blaster/adlib?
I tried King's quest 5 game yesterday and it didn't find sound blaster in my system and returned to dos.
My card is most likely a pnp model, because bios finds it as pnp when computer star.
I know a pnp card isn't generally a good thing, but I don't have many isa sound cards.

20170415_205525.jpg
Filename
20170415_205525.jpg
File size
2.21 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I just love these big boxes.

Reply 1 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course! The card should work with any game supporting the Adlib and very first Sound Blaster.

Your issues likely are somewhere else. Especially if you're using newer hardware with these old games, and / or running Windows 9x.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it is a pentium 2 and it does have win98 installed, but it boots to dos mode and hard drive volumes are formatted just for dos 6.22 originally.
Would it make the game work if I removed windows and and installed just dos 6.22?

Reply 3 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

it is a pentium 2 and it does have win98 installed, but it boots to dos mode and hard drive volumes are formatted just for dos 6.22 originally.
Would it make the game work if I removed windows and and installed just dos 6.22?

I have the same sound card. My system lacks a HDD at the moment so I can't verify but if the game is looking for a regular SB it's probably looking at IRQ 7 and not seeing the card there (it loads as IRQ 5 default) so you may want to edit your SET BLASTER line in CONFIG.SYS to set the card as IRQ7 at startup. If that doesn't work try changing the card's Type setting to a regular SB or SB Pro..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some older Sierra titles were speed sensitive and wouldn't initialise the sound card on faster systems.
You could try the GoSierra patch.

If you're running from MS-DOS mode, then you need to make sure that CTCM is loaded in your Config.sys file as a device driver.
The DOS settings for the sound card is stored under your Windows folder in a file called "ctpnp.cfg".
This file will be updated every time you boot into Windows (unless you make the file read only).
As I recall, later Sierra titles (like the one you have) were OK with the sound card having an IRQ of 5 (however, older titles, like Space Quest 3, is expecting the IRQ to be at 7).
Make sure that the SET BLASTER environment variable is present in your Autoexec.bat file.
For an AWE64 the default parameters are: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

Reply 7 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I am planning to build a slower system. Any idea how slow system those older titles need to be able to find the sound card?

Try the Gosierra patch. If that doesn't work, then you could try to slow down the PC by disabling the level 1 and/or the level 2 cache by using a utility like Setmul.

Reply 8 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

I am planning to build a slower system. Any idea how slow system those older titles need to be able to find the sound card?

The system requirements for the games should give an idea on how slow the PC can be. Remember its not the speed that's at fault, if anything its the soundcard, and that's only cause the default resources are wrong and can be changed easy enough.

Most games are happy on faster though, I'm not big on Sierra titles, I think its only one of the Wing Commanders that have problems (out of the Sierra games anyway)

P2 with AWE64 makes a nice DOS/Win9x PC though. My Slot 1 P3 is easily my most versatile and used retro box

Reply 9 of 10, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

If you're running from MS-DOS mode, then you need to make sure that CTCM is loaded in your Config.sys file as a device driver.

You don't have to do this in config.sys. All you need is to run ctcm in your autoexec.bat.
This way it'll only initialize the PnP card, without installing any resident TSR that eats your precious DOS memory.

You can also run aweutil /s /r:50 /c:50 to add some reverb and chorus MIDI effects. (adjust the numbers to your taste)

Other than software initialization, it's 100% compatible with SB16.

Reply 10 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:
The system requirements for the games should give an idea on how slow the PC can be. Remember its not the speed that's at fault, […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

The system requirements for the games should give an idea on how slow the PC can be. Remember its not the speed that's at fault, if anything its the soundcard, and that's only cause the default resources are wrong and can be changed easy enough.

Most games are happy on faster though, I'm not big on Sierra titles, I think its only one of the Wing Commanders that have problems (out of the Sierra games anyway)

P2 with AWE64 makes a nice DOS/Win9x PC though. My Slot 1 P3 is easily my most versatile and used retro box

Well, Wing Commander is an Origin title, for starters. WC1 is certainly speed sensitive, so throttling is advantageous for playing it. For Sierra games, the problem extends beyond sound card compatibility to the script interpreter itself. QFG3, for instance, is known to have a plethora of glitches when operating beyond 486 equivalent performance.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder