VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a lot of Win9x games from the 96-2000 period that came on CDs which I now own on GOG.com. Is there any particular reason to not use the GOG installers for these on older hardware and use ISOs/Daemon Tools instead? I wouldn't use the GOG installers for the DOS games obviously, but for Win9x games it seems a lot less effort than using ISO images and DT..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In most cases the GoG installer just hides the disk image behind a a nice front-end, or it has already extracted everything from the disk, and patched the executable files not to require the disk being present. Generally, I would prefer using the GoG package - if it runs well on Win9x. On some cases the games may have been patched to work better on NT-based systems, which can sometimes make them work worse (or not at all) on Win9x.

Another thing is if the CD had audio tracks, then sometimes GoG converts these to OGG files to downsize the image, which in theory lowers the audio quality. Not everybody would notice/care.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOG is great. As an archivist, though, I'd hate for their releases to one day be the only versions left, for the reasons mentioned above. They're pretty good, but they don't always pick the best release version when multiple are available, either.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 12, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't be the only one who is lazy enough sometimes that it's easier to pay a couple of quid and download the installer, rather than go and hunt for the physical disc that I know I have - somewhere..?

Reply 5 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

but how do you get the GOG installer to work on 9x

They just work fine, they are Win32 programs after all.

Reply 7 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Not really, you'd need kernelex for them and even then they still have issues

Oh, true that. I installed them all onto a WinXP box the other day and assumed the installers would work on Win9x as well *facepalm*

It's probably impossible for Win9x games but DOS games can easily be extracted from installers and copied into directories, at least..

Reply 8 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Not really, you'd need kernelex for them and even then they still have issues

Oh, true that. I installed them all onto a WinXP box the other day and assumed the installers would work on Win9x as well *facepalm*

It's probably impossible for Win9x games but DOS games can easily be extracted from installers and copied into directories, at least..

Not impossible.
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/installing-go … s-on-95-98.html

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could have sworn I remember seeing a similar topic here before...

Anyway, GOG installers are useful for playing Win9x based games on modern Operating Systems. It's wise to keep them as such, since some 9x games won't even install on modern OSs. Even if these were able to install, some may have other issues.

As for DOS games, it comes to preference... I would prefer to install from original ISOs in Dosbox, just for that nostalgic feeling and seeing the original installation screens.

There were some discussions on issues with the GOG versions, but I could not remember what they were. Something to do with ripped CD audio or something.

From my experience, there's one game that has CD audio mess - Revenant. In the original CD installation, the audio from the CD is situational. But the GOG version is not. And it's a heck of a work to make it work in modern OS. Lot's of DirectX based issues.. (for the original CD / ISO installs on modern OSs)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

They just work fine, they are Win32 programs after all.

There are many reasons why a "Win32 program after all" may not work on older systems.
Nowadays practically no new applications are written that are compatible with Win9x, and in a year or two the same will happen to XP.

Reply 11 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

From my experience, there's one game that has CD audio mess - Revenant

Vangers, in my experience, is another. Under WinXP with an Audigy 2 ZS, the music pops and crackles. Under Win7 with onboard sound, it's fine. I don't know if others have reported similar problems. This game is really obscure.

The music is half the reason to run Vangers, so it's a pretty big problem for me. However, I also have it on CDROM with the original CDA tracks, so I can also just pop it in a CD player and go!

Reply 12 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:

Vangers, in my experience, is another. Under WinXP with an Audigy 2 ZS, the music pops and crackles. Under Win7 with onboard sound, it's fine. I don't know if others have reported similar problems. This game is really obscure.

The GOG version is the same as the Steam version, isn't it? I understand the original developers specifically made changes to it to make it run better on current systems.