VOGONS

First post, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asking here because there's less noise, and I had no real success when searching a few weeks ago.

Are there any decent Unix apps that can dump/copy dual layer DVD data disks? This is not restricted to films - I also want to copy disks with 8GB data on them. Ideally format independent (so not just 9660 format, bit wise copies)

After having a quick fiddle with various options I got bored, used Infrarecorder under Vista, and it Just Worked. This was taking a backup of a degraded OS X 10.5 PPC DVD-DL disc (which is probably a hybrid 9660/HFS image).

Single layer is easy of course.

Reply 1 of 4, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you already tried the obvious choices of DD and CDRDAO and run into problems? The OS shouldn't really care what size the disc is so long as the drive can read it.

EDIT, so I did some testing of my own. It seems that the first dual-layer disc I tested (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back), would generate a whole ton of read errors with either dd or cdrdao. However, I suspect this is a series of intentional bad sectors for copy protection purposes. I did manage to find a disc without any copy protection schemes (Sam & Max Season 2 DVD edition), and that copied without any problems at all.

I do remember when I was testing PS2 emulation, imaging the disc would indeed generate a ton of errors then too (even for single layer discs). However, with the conv=noerror option on DD and a WHOLE TON of patience, the resulting image still worked after. Something to try, I suppose. When I tried that with my Empire Strikes Back attempt, however, it still only managed to grab 18 MB after running for 2000 seconds before I got tired and canceled it.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Best step is to run Windows and copy it there. Really best solution I found so far 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You've tried dd, but that isn't nearly as capable as using "cdrdao read-cd".
https://miketeo.net/wp/index.php/2008/05/10/c … s-on-linux.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder