VOGONS

First post, by RichPimp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, this has been driving me crazy for a few years.
To start, I stumbled onto this excellent breakdown of the different versions of Mortal Kombat for DOS:
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/mk1-dos-versions/

I'm sure I had the UltraTech version, though I'm not sure if it was the first or second release. Alas, I do not have the floppies anymore 😠
What's bugging me to no end is, I swear I remember in the controls options there being an option for the Gravis Gamepad, separate from the 4 button joystick. I also remember that when using this option, the four buttons would be assigned to the attack buttons, and holding two buttons (I believe it was low punch and high punch) at the same time would block. I much prefer this control scheme to the 4 button joystick option. I already know that I can use a key mapping program to simulate this functionality, but am I the only one who remembers this? Every version of MK for DOS I've tried in the recent past does not offer this control option. I also didn't see it discussed in the aforementioned website, which has an in depth description of the different control options on hand.

Last edited by RichPimp on 2017-04-27, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my research for the article above I never encountered a version of MK1 that has a separate 'Gravis' option or a different joystick control scheme. The 'Alpha' actually calls the 4-button option 'Gravis Gamepad' in the menu, but it behaves exactly the same (button 2 for block, high punch by forward + button 1). I don't recall whether I tried using a Gravis Gamepad specifically for some versions, but I would be surprised that it behaves in any way other than the standard 4-button joystick. Incidentally, the MK1 Ultratech DOS manual scan I have here even references the Gravis Joypad color scheme, and mentions the same standard 4-button scheme.

firage wrote:

MK2 has a Gravis specific option, not sure if there is a version of MK1 with it.

From what I could see by testing it just now (via DOSBox emulating a 4-button stick), MK2 still does not have a Gravis-specific control option (perhaps you remember the Gravis Ultrasound sound option?) It has only the 4-button joystick and joystick + keys options (2-button option was dropped). The control scheme for the 4-button joystick is exactly the same as MK1.

The first MK game that has the four buttons assigned to individual attacks, and achieves block by pressing two of them at once is MK3. And it's not Gravis-specific either. Was there even anything at all in the original Gravis Gamepad (not the Pro) which made it not like any other 4-button joystick?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 4, by RichPimp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are times when I wonder if my mind is tricking me, but I have such a distinct memory of it. I remember the layout of the face buttons was identical to the SNES layout of MK1, with of course the 2-button block in lieu of the trigger buttons. I also remember performing Sub-Zero's slide kick using only the low kick plus low punch buttons. I've given up hope of ever finding a copy with the gamepad option, but I would feel vindicated if just one person remembered it being available. I may still have the manual somewhere, I need to dig it up. The PDF version I have also doesn't make reference to the extra control scheme.

dr_st wrote:

Was there even anything at all in the original Gravis Gamepad (not the Pro) which made it not like any other 4-button joystick?

Probably not, I always assumed that since it was the first? gamepad for PC, and pretty popular for its time, that many games of the early 90's included it as a separate control option.

DOS MK1 was for its time the best port of the game. To my adolescent self it was arcade perfect, though after reading your analysis I had no idea how may quirks it had. Thanks for the replies.

Reply 4 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, if you do find this elusive version, let me know, and I will happily research it and expand the article. 😀

In my view, even though they are not arcade-perfect, the DOS ports are the best home versions for MK1, MK2 and MK3. Early on you could really see how the power advantage of the PC over the contemporary console makes the experience better. By MK3 time frame it was mostly gone, although the issue of loading times remained, even on the Playstation.

And the ability to play with the keyboard - wow. Many folks don't realize that MK's tap-based (and not rotation/diagonal-based) style of special moves is ideal for the keyboard; you need a good one, though - one that won't jam with simultaneous keypresses, especially if you intend to play with 2 players.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys