VOGONS

First post, by YNS89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I was wondering is there a way to play DOS games without using their floppy disks in an old 386 machine.My floppy drive works properly, I just dont want to swap disks all the time. I have an 80 mb hdd,so I cant install all the games I want to.

Some people suggested me to use a cf card but the adapters I see are pci ones, my motherboard has only ISA ports.

Recently, I was thinking to install a cd rom drive to the PC, burn a cd which is full of games and basically just to put the cd in and play the games via cd-rom . Is this possible, or do you have alternative solutions to play games without using floppy?

Thank you very much.

Reply 4 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right. And XTIDE BIOS also supports serial ports for virtual drives I believe.
So all it needs is a serial cable and the server software (serial server ?) beeing run from a modern computer.
Plus a host for the univeral BIOS, of course, which often involves a network card and the necessity to program such a ROM chip.
And that's about the point where someone has to ask himself if it wouldn't be simpler to just use an XTIDE adapter for CF cards instead.
http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can get IDE to CF card adaptors that use slot in the back of your PC, this is just an example plenty more out there
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CF-Flash-Card-to-40 … DQAAOSwnHZYY9Yh
You can then swap the cards without opening the case 😀

Reply 7 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, that's one of these types which I've got, too. I'm not sure right now, but it might be necessary to insert the card bottom up in that particular model.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 25, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A floppy emulator is a good idea, but I wish they made one that didn't take up a drive bay. I don't want them so visible on my retro PC's. Would be nice if I could have one at the back, like that CF reader, or wireless I guess.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 25, by YNS89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

A floppy emulator is a good idea, but I wish they made one that didn't take up a drive bay. I don't want them so visible on my retro PC's. Would be nice if I could have one at the back, like that CF reader, or wireless I guess.

I agree, I think that floppy emulator kills the retro feel and look. I'd never install something like that to my vintage PC. But yeah, they are very useful to be honest.

Reply 10 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be cool if they made one where the seven-segment display (->SSD, haha) was detachable/connected by a ribbon-cable.
This way, someone could install it in place of the turbo display (which was a SSD, too).
If the floppy emulator also had a turbo button pass-trough, it would be perfect. The values for low/high settings
could then be stored on the flash media and displayed when the floppy emulator was idle.

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 25, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
YNS89 wrote:

I agree, I think that floppy emulator kills the retro feel and look. I'd never install something like that to my vintage PC.

I agree

The second somebody installs a slightly modern bit of tech to replace a few hundred floppy disks with a single usb thumb drive it really ruins the retro feel of having to store 100's of floppys or rewriting the same floppy over and over again. And man it sure does ruin the software. Everyone knows that if the software isn't loaded by an actual floppy disk then the software is 100% different. For example i tried to load dos and I stuck the usb drive in and it loaded windows 10...... totally ruins that retro feel.

I guess I'm just a purist really. I want to use period correct parts like CF card adapters. Everyone in the early 90's used CF card adapters.

Or even better , I'll just burn my games onto cd rom. Everyone in the early 90's burned all their games onto a single cdrom with their cd burners so it wouldn't ruin that "retro feel" i like.

Reply 15 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The motherboard is important, and Nvidia Vesa 3.0 card, all my retro gear has HDD caddies, USB Floppy emulators, ISA cheap ass Yamaha or ESS sound card, it is only depending, DO I WANT TO PLAY DUKE 2....

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 16 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nrj300.jpg

Fujifilm Floppy Disk Adapter FD-A1
http://www.minidisc.org/boyde/fda1.html

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.. True. I've also seen another model which claims to have drivers available for DOS/Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0 and Mac.
"Mac" may refer here to MacOS 8.1 or higher (upto 9.2.2): https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Camedia-FlashP … r/dp/B00LRE1W28
But I guess these Flashpath devices were sold under different brands. Maybe it is possible to use the drivers interchangeably ?
Edit: Sorry for my bad English, need more practise. 😅

//My video channel//