VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

It's strange that the ones who apologize for bad English are usually the ones who least need to apologize.

pro tip: it may require english skills to actually utter that sentence? ;]

Reply 21 of 25, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
YNS89 wrote:

Hi!

I was wondering is there a way to play DOS games without using their floppy disks in an old 386 machine.My floppy drive works properly, I just dont want to swap disks all the time. I have an 80 mb hdd,so I cant install all the games I want to.

You can use Ethernet hooked to Wi-Fi bridge on your floppyless retro build. There is many cheap newtwork cards for PCI, ISA and even for parallel port interface. Many Wi-Fi bridges is very cheap too.
Then you take packet driver for your NIC, TCP/IP stack for DOS (mTCP is a good choice) set it properly and that's all. FTP, HTTP, WEB (i prefer more recent Links browser, instead of Arachne, in text mode, ofcourse), Gopher, FIDO and etc. etc. etc.

p.s. And there is FTP with recent Total DOS Collection 😉

Reply 22 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bridging with a wireless router is an excellent option. There's no need for a dedicated wireless bridge device.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 25, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:
Hmm.. True. I've also seen another model which claims to have drivers available for DOS/Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0 a […]
Show full quote

Hmm.. True. I've also seen another model which claims to have drivers available for DOS/Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0 and Mac.
"Mac" may refer here to MacOS 8.1 or higher (upto 9.2.2): https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Camedia-FlashP … r/dp/B00LRE1W28
But I guess these Flashpath devices were sold under different brands. Maybe it is possible to use the drivers interchangeably ?
Edit: Sorry for my bad English, need more practise. 😅

what is that thing? never heared about it?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 24 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

what is that thing? never heared about it?

It is/was an adapter for SmartMedia cards and oher flash media.
The adapter was made since the late 90s and aimed torwards owners of digital cameras.

It allowed for an easy file transfer between the new digital cameras of the time and the PC :
The new camera models nolonger used floppies like the Sony Mavica series did, but rather flash media.
Apparently, this was an issue at the time since the USB port wasn't common yet and people alternatively
had to use card readers for parallel port (and hoping to make them work) or SCSI devices.
Laptop owners perhaps were more lucky and could have used PCMCIA adapters instead.

Physically, the adapter behaves like a real floppy disk, but requires batteries and a driver for proper operation.
I'm speaking under correction, but I believe the adapter works in a similar fashion to these MP3-to-Cassette adapters
for car radios. Just a little bit more compliated, because it has to handle read/write requests.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//