VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always been concerned about my hardware temperatures, on any computer I ever built I always "paranoically" constantly checked the temperatures of CPU and GPU as well as other components until they are always stable and never jump to crazy numbers (the last time I assembled an i7-4790k on an Asus H97-Plus motherboard I was getting 91-95°C on 100% load with Cinema 4D, for example).

I looked all over Internet these days for some old version of CoreTemp or RealTemp that may be supported by my Windows 9x computers (I am working on some Windows 95, a 98 and a Millennium Edition computers), but I can't find any. I even tried AIDA32 but it isn't supported either... which program (preferrably free) is or was (and thus can be found on sites like oldversions) supported on Windows 9x and DOS (I want to be sure that the 486 DX4-100 won't overheat once I find a motherboard for him) ?

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 11, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think old Motherboards/CPU/GPU did not have a Sensor for read Temperature.

On my Athlon Systems there was PC Probe on the Driver CD.

But on my older Systems Pentium 1 / Pentium 3 there is no Way to check Temperatures.

The first Motherboard i have that was able to read Temperature was Abit KT7

The first GPU i own with Temperature Sensor was Ati X800 Series.

Reply 3 of 11, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure my Celeron "rig" has the temperature reading sensor because I could see the CPU temp in the BIOS (roughly 26°C on boot).
The Windows 98 PC runs on an AMD Athlon 6400 (I think), I know it's overkill for 98 and it's more likely an XP build (in fact I dual boot with XP just fine), but I managed to get all drivers working on 98 as well so... why not 😁

As for the 486 PC... well, if there isn't a temperature sensor, how can I check if it'll run ok ?

Most important ones:

Reply 4 of 11, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used MBProbe on my Athlon rig back in the day, and still do. There's a hardware compatibility list in the included manual.html.

Elia1995 wrote:

As for the 486 PC... well, if there isn't a temperature sensor, how can I check if it'll run ok ?

Used to use one of those digital in/out thermometers with a probe to put outdoors, once they became cheap in the end of the 90's. Drilled a little hole in the CPU heatsink base for the probe. Worked surprisingly well 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always used speedfan. Itll work for 9x.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 8 of 11, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always go for Speedfan, i like that it can also silence my machines a bit with automatic fan controll. For that purpose, i can also recommend Rivatuner 2.24 that can control nvidia gpu fans on Win9x.

Use Speedfan 4.50, it is the last to work on Win9x without any problems. Speedfan 4.51 can also work, but it usually complains about administrator access which simply do not exists on win9x.

Reply 9 of 11, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm now using Motherboard Monitor 5 which seems to do a pretty good job, I couldn't get SpeedFan to work on Windows 98SE, but it does work on Windows ME for some reason.

Most important ones:

Reply 10 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't remember what it was called, but I once used some program that monitored the temperature and fan speed (I think). As I recall, it had a pretty ugly interface with little B/W gauges for the different sensors.

Reply 11 of 11, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:

Used to use one of those digital in/out thermometers with a probe to put outdoors, once they became cheap in the end of the 90's. Drilled a little hole in the CPU heatsink base for the probe. Worked surprisingly well 😀

You can get some cheap 1-wire sensor chips and route them through to your main computer for real-time graphing, logging, etc. With rj11 connectors or whatever they're pretty mobile, and you don't depend on the host computer.
cpu.png