VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having trouble finding one to run on 9x. It would be infinitely more easy to use to share files than networking and sharing, I have enough trouble doing that between computers that are both 7. I really would prefer a gui. Most 9x ftp programs I've seen don't have a win 7 version, either.

Reply 2 of 19, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cuteftp used to be my favourite ftp client back in the win98 days. http://www.oldapps.com/CuteFTP.php?system=Windows_98
Perhaps this thread should be in the software forum instead of hardware?

Reply 3 of 19, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

Cuteftp used to be my favourite ftp client back in the win98 days. http://www.oldapps.com/CuteFTP.php?system=Windows_98
Perhaps this thread should be in the software forum instead of hardware?

Oops. I only ever post about hardware so forgot there was another section.

Reply 5 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's an older Filezilla that should be usable.

If you're wanting silly period correctness, WS_FTP is the way to go 😀 Bulletproof FTP and SmartFTP were also popular.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LeechFTP as client, 3COM FTP server as server. Both should work fine on Windows 95 (maybe you'll need Winsocks update) and are easy to configure.

There can be security issues, but the entire Windows 95 is a security issue.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 19, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used SlimFTPd back in the day. It's simple, stable, and has a very small memory footprint. Also, it doesn't write anything to the registry. You'll have to live with manual configuration through a .ini file though, there's no GUI.

As for the client, Total Commander's built in one has been good enough for me through the years.

Reply 10 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or you could just direct whatever browser you're using to the ftp:// URL. For a server I use smallftpd on my Win 7 machine when I need it.

Alternatively, Bluetooth file transfers are astonishingly straightforward, and Bluetooth adapters are quite cheap.

Reply 12 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

If you're wanting silly period correctness, WS_FTP is the way to go 😀 Bulletproof FTP and SmartFTP were also popular.

At school we used Ipswitch a long time ago.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

Use SMB, it's been in windows since 3.11 I think.

In between the various Windows you can't expect SMB to work consistently, especially with the latter Windows' security-related changes that regress access to SMB'ing other Windows.

When I needed to SMB access a W98 PC from W7, I had to VirtualPC a W98 guest to do this easily.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found FTP way too clunky and slow to use. I have no problems accessing Windows shares on Windows 10 from 98 SE machines. There is a tutorial on my channel if anyone is interested.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC you can access W98 shares from W7 but you can't access W7 shares from W98.

I was never able to get SMB working between W7 and W95.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LeechFTP as client. On the server side there are a lot of options, depends on your hardware really.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

FileZilla 2.2.18

I refrained from suggesting this because it doesn't work too well with lower Pentiums and below.. But if you have an MMX or higher, yes it's a good option. LeechFTP is usually lighter on resources but gets the job done nonetheless.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.