VOGONS

First post, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi you guys,

A few days ago ive tried to play screamer (1995) over a LAN (IPX Protocol/Pentium I/Win95 running on dos mode), and it detected both computers/players over the network, but once ive hit enter, instead of going to the race itself, it goes back to the default menu like its ignoring the multiplayer game.

My network settings are 100%, ive played other games over this lan like: doom, rott, quake, etc...so the problem its within the game.

Ive search for this and ive found thats a bug in the original game:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/10285-screamer/faqs/1674 (search the page contents for "network")

"Couple of people on the net are disgruntled. Why? Everytime they
try to run the net game, it goes fine, until they try to start the race.
When anyone presses enter, the things goes berserk, and dumps the entire
network to the previous screen. So, what's the deal here? Well, I shall
proceed to mail this problem to Virgin, but I really doubt they will try
to fix this. But then, I can be wrong here."

is that true? if that is the case, does anyone know where can i find a patch or fix for network playing?

thanks in advance,

Last edited by Retromania on 2017-05-10, 13:48. Edited 2 times in total.

www.retromania.pt

Reply 3 of 8, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for moving this thread to the correct forum...

Can anyone help me solving this issue? anyone played Screamer in multiplayer mode? (on a real and time accurate machine)

www.retromania.pt

Reply 4 of 8, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the German Version of Scream: Bleifuss

I installed it on Dosbox and on a real Machine, a Pentium 100 with Soundblaster 2.0.

Loaded the LSL, Networkdriver and IPXODI on Dosbox and Pentium.

Start the Game on Dosbox in SVGA and on the Pentium in VGA (because its to slow for SVGA)

Start a Network Game, select Cars and when both Players logged in, I press Enter.

On the PC where i have Enter pressed i can choose the Track, the other PC waits.
After select Track the Race starts.

BTW, do you have the CD in for Copy Protection Check ?
I think on one Machine there must be a Full Install done, on the other Machines a Network Install is enough.

Reply 5 of 8, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive tested it with a cracked version...
But a friend of mine has the original big box version, i can borrow it to install in one machine, and do a network only install on the others, to see if there is any difference.

BTW im not using dosbox or any modern computer, this is intended for a retro lan party on real machines (pentium I and 486)

Another thing, screamer is a msdos game, but im running it under windows 95, which means its using the network drivers/settings from windows 95, i can also try to install ipx support on DOS mode (LSL, Networkdriver and IPXODI), maybe it can fix the issue.

Thanks for all the info Sammy 😉

Last edited by Retromania on 2017-05-11, 21:55. Edited 1 time in total.

www.retromania.pt

Reply 6 of 8, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you use Win95 on both PCs?

I remember i have Problems running a Game in Dos and the other in Win98. (Not Screamer, maybe Carmageddon)
I don't know if it did not find the other PC or if it crashes during network play.
Problem was the frame type and other network settings in Win98... (Frame Ethernet 802.2 vs 802.3 vs Frame Ethernet II and number of Buffers/Connections 16 vs 32...)
And use IPX with NetBIOS aktivated.

After changing the Settings to the same, the Game runs.

You should try to run both PCs in plain Dos. LSL, Driver, IPXODI... use the same LSL settings (Frametype!!!) and the same IPXODI on both PCs.

If it works you can try to tweak Win95 setting to make the game run under Win95

Last edited by Sammy on 2017-05-11, 23:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by Retromania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sammy wrote:

Do you use Win95 on both PCs?

Yes both Pc's have windows 95 installed.

Sammy wrote:

You should try to run both PCs in plain Dos. LSL, Driver, IPXODI... use the same LSL settings (Frametype!!!) and the same IPXODI on both PCs.

If it works you can try to tweak Win95 setting to game the game run under Win95

Yes thats what i intend to do, im pretty sure if i install my ethernet card in plain DOS (LSL, Driver, IPXODI) the multiplayer mode will work,
Ill give you news very soon 😉

Thanks for all the precious info Sammy 😁 😉

www.retromania.pt