VOGONS

First post, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Diggers by Millennium Interactive happens to be one of my favourite DOS games ever. Only couple of years ago I found out that a sequel has been released back in 1995. I finally got hold of PC CD version of Extractors recently, but it runs way too fast on my P200MMX. Diggers has a feature that allowes to slow the game down by pressing ALT-F1, and speed it up with ALT-F2. The same key combination does not work in Extractors. I tried slowing it down using DOSBOX, but it just doesn't work correctly, and the speed of the game fluctuates randomly. I do not own a genuine copy of Extractors, and therefore have no access to paper manual, and there is nothing in the readme included with the game or in game manual that would explain how to slow the game down or speed it up. Even on the slowest S7 CPU I own, namely Pentium 120 make it too fast, and therefore unplayable. Does any of you own Extractors and has access to paper manual? Does any of you know if a key combination similar to one in Diggers exist?

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blackmasked wrote:

Diggers by Millennium Interactive happens to be one of my favourite DOS games ever. [...]

🤣 🤣 yeah there is a hint on the left side 🤣

On a real pentium1 machine I have found that ICACHE is the best way to slow it down, on-the-fly in command line and you can enable/disable to your heart's content:
ICACHE D - disables L2 cache and you get ~386DX speeds
ICACHE E - enables L2 cache

try it and report back if it does the trick for you 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    ICACHE.zip
    File size
    588 Bytes
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File comment
    ICACHE - enable/disable L2 cache
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I spent countless hours playing Diggers on Amiga CD32 in the early 90s, but playing it with a controller and no keyboard was a chore. When I played it on the PC for the first time I wondered how could I even endure controls from CD32 version. ;] I absolutely love the ambient music in this game, and overall atmosphere. RIP Richard Joseph. It’s a highly underrated game in my opinion.

I'll give ICACHE a go and report back. Thanks Keropi. ;]

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note in the future that you should ask questions pertaining to old hardware that you should ask in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

This forum is for newer systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 5, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

icache made no difference, which really suprised me. Then I tried disabling internal and external cache in BIOS and it was still too fast. Then I've had a bit of a 'Doh!' moment and realized that the reason why nothing worked is simple, this game is not speed sensitive and it seems to be a lot more fast paced compared to Diggers. It's a real shame as it makes it more arcade-y and because of that it feels a bit less enjoyable in my opinion.