VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried this twice; installed Daemon Tools 3.47 on Windows Me and both times the system locked up at startup, at the white loading screen. Both times I had to start in Safe mode and uninstall Daemon Tools for it to work.

The same installer works fine on Windows 98SE systems I have.

Is there a compatibility issue I'm not aware of? In case I can't get this to work, what can I use as a a CD/DVD Emulator? Alcohol 54 FE?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-05-17, 12:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 4, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Yeah, this is a well known issue with WinME, I have no clue what causes this exactly. Version 3.44 works fine, AFAIR it was the one I was using for WinME. Nothing wrong with your system 😁.

It works fine on my almost vanilla Windows ME (some hotfixes installed not really relevant to daemon tools.)

Funny for me, 3.47 created issue for me in Windows 98SE that after that the desktop was loaded, it would freeze the computer. As i said before, this works fine in Windows Me for me.

Reply 4 of 4, by bjrnx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just experienced the issue and version 3.44 indeed does work.
The newer version (3.47) did also work until I installed newer drivers (1.06/1.07) for a Voodoo3 3500 - when using older 3dfx drivers (1.04) there was no problem.

Found out while re-installing everything step by step ... ... ... - and afterwards I searched and found this thread... :headslap:

So, what is causing the system to lock up at boot is not absolutely clear to me at this point because the system is not really vanilla --> installed IE6 and WMP9 and official Win Me updates from a pack called "Windows Nation Update CD ME" before and various other software that don't seem to be critical but who knows until Daemon Tools revealed itself to be the villain. Also the combination of hardware and used drivers/versions might be the cause (CUBX-E mainboard / Voodoo3 3500 @ 1.07 driver / Vortex2 @ 2048 / 3Com 3C905B-TX @ 5.4=4.08 / Promise Ulta100 PDC20265 @ 2.00.0.29 drivers). At this point I'm glad to have it working thanks to the above comments and I'm too lazy to try out the diverse possibilities.

PS. I'm reading along at vogons for some time now - very nice site with very nice folks and absolutely valuable information here!