VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, so basically I copied the contents of the CD to my hard drive and patched them with Gosierra so I wouldn't get the mode/hds error I got before and also modified the batch file the game installed on my HD for it to work without a CD. The game runs, but acts very strangely. It seems that some of the FM sound channels are missing, there's a few odd graphical glitches, etc. The icing on the cake though is that in the beginning of the game where Carmine and Chubby start throwing spitballs at each other and the teacher goes to sleep, the music starts going absolutely crazy and the game then soon crashes and I have to press the reset button on my PC. I hope any of you have ideas here, as this is one of my personal favorite point and click games. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If memory serves, GoSierra is meant to patch the sound driver for faster systems, so that you don't get that dreaded "unable to initialize audio hardware" error.

The symptoms that you are describing appears to be speed related. Perhaps try to disable your L1 or L2 cache of your PC and then see what happens (i.e., slow down your system). Some early Pentium PC's still had a turbo switch.

Reply 4 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

There isn't an option to disable L1/L2 cache in my bios. Is there a DOS program I can use to do that or something?

Setmul:
SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 5, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, I disabled L1 cache and now the game mostly works. The only annoying thing it has now is that there's still some odd graphical glitches and there's a little bit of slowdown with the music whenever you take an item out of your backpack (that may be normal for disabling L1 cache, though).