VOGONS

First post, by Jailbreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to play X-Wing (CD version)but I am having a problem with the sound. My sound card is the CT4390 SB AWE 64 Gold card. I run the AWEUTIL /S program to initiate the MIDI capability for the soundcard via my Autoexec.bat file when I boot up the computer. I am running the game in DOS mode. When I start the game the music is on but the digital sound effects are not and the game typically locks up when I try to access the Training Grounds door. If I start the game and then exit the game at the beginning (as the scrolling Star Wars text starts) and run the AWEUTIL /S program again and start the game again I get full music and sound effects and the sound seems to work perfectly. Running the AWEUTIL /S program the second time only resolves the sound problem after I have started the game and then exited the game. Running the AWEUTIL /S program again after boot-up but before entering the game the first time has no effect on the sound in the game (still just music)so it appears to me the problem must be somewhere in the game configuration files that are set up when the game starts. Does anyone have any ideas about what might cause this problem and how it could be resolved? The jury-rigged method I am currently using to get the sound to work seems to work for now but I am concerned I may run into additional problems as I get deeper into the game.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks,
Jailbreak

Reply 1 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for modern systems. Ask old hardware related questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 8, by Jailbreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Autoexec is currently:
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
C:\WINDOWS\CTCM
C:PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\AWEUTIL /S
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\diagnose /S
C:\PROGRA~1CREATIVE\CTSND\mixerset /P

Thanks,
Jailbreak

Reply 5 of 8, by Jailbreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't tried any other games yet. I rebuilt this old system specifically to play XWING. I'm sure I'll also replay some other DOS games like XCOM but I haven't dug any others out of the closet yet.

Thanks,
Jailbreak

Reply 6 of 8, by Jailbreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In addition to DOS I have WIN95 on this machine (Pentium 233). I also have an old CT2760 AWE32 soundblaster card I could install to replace the AWE64 gold card. I haven't tried that yet to see if that card would work better.

Thanks,
Jailbreak

Reply 7 of 8, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What did you set in the setup program?

Choose "Custom Setup", then "Advanced Menu".
For music, try AWE32, Adlib and 4-OP FM. Those three should work.
Select "Test Music".

For Digital Sound, try AWE32 and Sound Blaster 16.
Port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1.
Select "Test Digital Sound".