VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So how fast is the direct cable connection? I'm willing to be that any Ethernet setup is going to be far faster.

The second key advantage to FTP is that you can use it across the room or across the entire planet. IP gives you routing. Direct cable connections do not.

When I want to copy files between machines in the same room I might tolerate sneakernet. But for real file transfer, between different types of machines or machines located anywhere within the reach of a network, FTP is what I use. Null modem and laplink are very limited in comparison.

Reply 21 of 21, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
r.cade wrote:

Least hassle is not to use SMB. 😀

Simple TCP/IP (even mTCP in DOS) and FTP server running on a PC in your network will work fine.

Strangely though, in every-single-machine running 9x that I've tried to transfer files via network just hangs after a while.
"A while" is after some seconds on some machines or 1-2 minutes in others. Having the same exact PC with the PCI cards in the same slots, with NT based OS (eg win2000), it works wonders.
Go figure...

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C