VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title says. I want to roll my own live CD with FreeDOS on it and a bunch of apps/demos/games. Obviously I can just burn all the files + directories to a disc using the ISO9660 filesystem, but how do I make it bootable? Anyone else done this?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use nero, there is an option to make a bootable cd - you need to provice also an image of a bootable floppy in order to create it. It's really easy , just follow the dialogs in nero.
Also IMGBURN can be used, the bootable options are in "Create image file from files/folders" -> Advanced -> Bootable Disk , it also requires an image of a bootable floppy

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah bootable CDs (for the most part, there are exceptions) are regular ISO9660 CDs with a boot image, of which the easiest/default is floppy emulation, which (naturally) uses a bootable floppy image. If you have a bootable floppy image, then most/all ISO image or burning software will have an option to make a bootable CD with the image.

Of course, it would probably be handy to have the bootable floppy image load a CD driver...

Reply 3 of 5, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With my first CD Write i had a Programm called "Boot CD 1.0".

It has a tool DSKIMG (Diskimage) to create image of Floppys and HDD.

Then a Editor where you can ad 10 of those image in a Menue and then select which floppy or Hdd you want to boot.

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found it interesting how SystemRescueCD actually lets you select from multiple different DOS floppy images when you start it up.
http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/manual/System … t_floppy_disks/

I believe it manages this through "syslinux", but despite the name that has nothing necessarily to do with Linux.

In theory, it should be very easy to modify SystemRescueCD to include as many different boot floppy images as you want, all conveniently selectable from a menu. But that might be overkill.

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, SYSLINUX can do that. It's a really awesome tool.
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=MEMDISK

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder