VOGONS

Alcohol 120 demands newer windows version (on 98SE)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded this from Phil's site so I'd have some software that would let me both make copies of my games and burn physical CDs of some GOG games but after successfully installing the program will not launch, saying that it requires a newer version of Windows...

It further states that "a device attached to the system is not working."

I also cannot uninstall it since I get "Unable to initialize Alcohol 120% setup" when I run the uninstall.exe. The program does not show up in the Add/Remove programs list, however.

Reply 1 of 14, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the file you got from Phil is alcohol120_fe_2.0.3.9811.exe, it's for later Windows versions. The last 98SE compatible version is 1.9.5.3105, and I think it's 30-day shareware only, as their ad-sponsored "Free Edition" started later. The full license they sell now is still good for the old version, although a bit costly.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 14, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

On Win9x I was always content with Daemontools 3.47 for mounting and Nero/CDBurnerXP/Imgburn for burning/image making...

I use that, no problems whatsoever.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 7 of 14, by willinliv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to add a bit of info to this in case it's useful. I tried Alcohol 120 (v1.9.5.3105 trial) on my new Windows98SE build and it offered what I needed so was about to dip my hand in my pocket to buy a license on their site, only to discover that I had already registered and bought a lifetime license. The only download however being their latest (non 9x-compatible) versions. I could not find the Retail version anywhere and was about to post to their support forum, but came across some news items online about them bringing out a free for personal use 'Retro Edition' in 2022. Sure enough it's one of the options on this page ("Retro Edition (1.9.5.3229)"), linking off to the download on FileFacts website: http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/downloadtrial.php

The installed warns not to attempt installation on anything newer than XP and also wishes the installer "happy retro gaming". Kudos to Alohol-soft from me

Reply 9 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will test Retro Edition later in WinME.

P.S. 2.1.1.2201 isn't WinXP compatible? *Censored*
Tested, 2.1.1.2201 has installed in WinXPSP3 w/o problems.
The compatibility with SafeDisc, Securom, Starforce etc -- dunno. And there is no ACID in this version...
2.1.1.1019 can be downloaded in 2 clicks from the official site if needed. Good.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have Alcohol 120 v1.9.5.3105 in a 95B,C,98,ME,NT4 folder on my server, worked last time I tested it.
Alcohol 52% v1.9.5.4327 for 2000
Last time I tested Alcohol with XP was Alcohol 52% v2.0.2.3931 but haven't tested since.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 14, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

anyone ever tried to share an alcohol drive over network via iSCSI? that way you don't even have to run alcohol on the old PC, and no HDD seek times either if the image is on an SSD. though iSCSI apparently does require at least 2000 SP4.

for 9x, you could mount an image from an SMB share, though the overhead might be way too much given how inefficient 9x networking is.

Reply 13 of 14, by Houfino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-12-31, 18:59:

I have Alcohol 120 v1.9.5.3105 in a 95B,C,98,ME,NT4 folder on my server, worked last time I tested it.
Alcohol 52% v1.9.5.4327 for 2000
Last time I tested Alcohol with XP was Alcohol 52% v2.0.2.3931 but haven't tested since.

do you have Can you send me a private message? I don't want retro edition..I want normal program for Windows 98 + Windows XP...I don't like trial..Thanks

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately I cannot. Send an email to the Alcohol folks and they may be able to set you up with a key for the older version if you don't have one.
Also in the future open your own thread for your issue.
Closed

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline