VOGONS

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I just got my hands over the Splat Pack edition of this classic. I remember playing it on my 486 back in the day, but I would like to play it in the best way possible (lores software rendering preferred).

Seems to be too slow even for P233-MMX & Geforce 128, I would like to try it into my P3-1000, but that system got a Geforce 4600Ti so maybe won't be fully compatible.

Will appreciate all your thoughts 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

233 mmx is great with 32mb ram and a voodoo 1 is the best hardware accelerated. . Dos.95 to Me.
The geforce should be paired with a faster cpu. The 233 would be good with tnt 1 or 2.

If you in 9x with dos window you may need to up the memory setting in properties

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a surprisingly demanding game. I once had it running with a Voodoo 5 and Pentium 3 to get it really smooth in 3dfx mode.

The Android port they did is excellent by the way. I completely finished the game on a tablet. You need something around Tegra 4 speed to get that to about 60 fps.

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sammy wrote:

i prefer playing it on a modern pc with a glide wrapper... look at carmageddon full hd videos on youtube... then you will never play it on low res again...

The Android port runs native screen resolution as well.

Reply 7 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If they simply ported the mobile version to PC, I'd be all over it.

I run Linux, Android uses the Linux kernel, why has no one figured out how to run an Android chroot under Arch or Debian?