VOGONS

First post, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old GX520 Optiplex for my older games. I have the original CD of Jazz Jackrabbit installed properly. I read that any CPU faster than 200Mhz it does not like so I downloaded the TPPatch and placed all the contents into the Jazz installation folder.

I ran the batch/cmd file and for a split second text came up and then vanished. Trying to run the game from the exe or MSDOS icon results in nothing. Apparently this is the way it is done but it just will not work, is there anything I'm missing?

https://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/info.php?levelID=341

This bit in particular: "Just run it like this from a DOS prompt (in your JJ1 directory):

TPPATCH file0001.exe" Does that mean run a command prompt and type that in while the files downloaded are in the jazz folder..? I tried that and TPPatch couldn't do "something" or it won't work. It's annoying.

I guess my last effort would be DOS Box? As much as I don't wanna use it, keep things original etc.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is a little unclear exactly what you are doing.

digitalx wrote:

Does that mean run a command prompt and type that in while the files downloaded are in the jazz folder..?

Yes. (What else would it mean..?)

I tried that and TPPatch couldn't do "something" or it won't work.

Perhaps you should be more specific here, as I have no idea what you mean.

There are many alternatives to TPPatch out there – all it does is search for one specific hex string and replaces it with a slightly different hex string. The freeware hex editor XVI32 includes a "plugin" that accomplishes the same thing.

Reply 2 of 4, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know what else it could have meant, hence me asking. I just wanted to be sure. If it said "run this following text in a command prompt" then I wouldn't have asked about it would I.

When I run TPPatch I get a flicker of the command prompt and some text is visible but I cannot catch it quick enough, after running it the game still does not like. Yet for everyone else, it goes swimmingly, as is always the case with me.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digitalx wrote:

When I run TPPatch I get a flicker of the command prompt and some text is visible but I cannot catch it quick enough, after running it the game still does not like.

You suggested that you tried to "run a command prompt and type that in while the files downloaded are in the jazz folder". Is that not what you are doing? Because if you do that then the command prompt will stay open after you run the command and you should be able to see the text.