VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a few different machines of similar configurations that I thought would be fun to face off against each other.

- Single P4/3.0 800FSB w/hyperthreading, socket 478/DDR1/AGP
- Dual P4/2.4 533FSB w/hyperthreading, socket 604/DDR1/AGP
- Dual P4/2.8 533FSB (alternate CPU combo for above)
- Single P4/3.0 533FSB w/hyperthreading LGA775 DDR2/PCIe
- Radeon HD3850 AGP or PCI-e (I have both versions now)

...and I can probably also get my hands on a similarly-specced Pentium-D.

I am genuinely curious which one would win out in a semi-modern, highly-multithreaded application. They all seem to have compromises. I bet either the dual 2.8 Xeons or the LGA P4 with DDR2 would come out on top overall despite the lower FSB.

Any recommendations? I'd prefer something I can just download and run (especially if it runs on a Linux LiveCD) over specific games that I have to track down, install, tweak, run some complicated timedemo, etc. 3Dmark type stuff would be ideal.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 4, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

smallpt is a 99 line OpenMP path tracer (an embarrassingly parallel problem, so scales well) written in c++. Simple to compile (read first couple of lines of source for instructions, leave out the -fopenmp for single threaded version), no dependencies, its raw number crunching (no other optimisations applied other than OpenMP, not even SSE), resultant PPM can be viewed in gimp. You could even unplug your graphics card since its not needed (after, you would perhaps need to plug it back in so you can view the image 😵).

http://www.kevinbeason.com/smallpt

And you get a nice stereotypical cornell box scene for your desktop.

Reply 2 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Oh neat! I'll definitely give that a try. Always liked oldschool CPU-driven raytracing. Thanks for putting me on to that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a primes number searching program that I made that can theoretically handle up to 4,294,967,295 threads. It is called Fastest Primes.

You can set number of threads, work unit size, number to calculate to or number to calculate from-to.

The work size unit should be sized to stay in the CPU cache for the best times. If you try to calculate too large of a range it will use your swap file and slow waaaay down.

It is a pretty good for testing systems against each other as far as CPU and RAM speed/latency goes. If you have 2 similar systems, but one CPU is clocked a bit higher and one has the RAM clocked higher, the one with the faster RAM will win.

I've never tried it on an older system so not sure it will even run on a P4, but it should.

It is only compiled for Windows as getting it to work on both Linux and Windows took too much time because of the differences in the calls, threading libraries and compiler settings.

There are both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries available. 64-bit is faster.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fastestprime … ource=directory

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK