VOGONS

First post, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, my problem is very simple. I finally decided to dig into LapLink LPT file transfer so I can backup my oldest machines (carrying files over single 360k floppy isn't fun AT ALL!!!). I made myself LapLink LPT cable, set up VMWare Virtual machine on my main PC, through VMSMOUNT I got it to talk to shared folders and with the help of INTERLNK.EXE and INTERSVR.EXE I can now copy files directly from old PC to designated space in harddrive in main PC. But there is one problem - I was using XCOPY, but what I found is some files does not copy properly. Not that there is problem with communication, the program itself can't chew some names with non-standard letters (like ě, š, č etc...). Also, some extensions are not copied ("games.grp" copied over to "games" with no extension). So I need better program that can copy files more reliably. Is there something like that? Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are versions of LapLink for DOS. That'd probably be the most powerful and suitable for your usage. Also, the old XTree may work. I used to use that all of the time, instead of Copy and Xcopy. It was like my File Explorer in the DOS days. Simpler versions may not have network capabilities, but I imagine that there are more professional versions that do.