VOGONS

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope this is the right place for this...

I found a R.A.T. 7 mouse in the trash. It seems to work fine just plugging it in, but without the dedicated driver, I can't access all the special features, like customizable DPI and programmable buttons.

Unfortunately the MadKatz support link no longer works, so I can't ask them and the driver download section no longer lists XP.

Looking on their support repository;

http://downloads.madcatzhosting.com/full/RAT_7/

Shows;

RAT_7_Mouse_7_0_45_2_x86_Drivers.exe - 9.6MB
RAT_7_Mouse_7_0_45_2_x86_Software.exe - 98MB

There are 64-bit versions of each as well. Are these the XP versions? Is this the latest version XP can use? Do I need both the driver and the "software", or is the second one just a bunch of extraneous programs you really don't need?

Going to the MadKatz site and telling it I want to download the drivers for Win8, it links to;

RAT_7_Mouse_7_0_60_6_x86_Drivers.exe - 19MB

So it would seem that one isn't for XP, but then they also link to the 7.0.45.2 version of the software, so who knows!

Their software site is a mess with files scattered all over, rather than being organized in any logical manner. You can find plenty of download sites that claim to have XP drivers, but I'd rather not download from a dodgy site.

I'd really like some kind of reassurance before I try installing a driver meant for another OS and potentially screwing up my system.

Does anyone know for sure what driver to use for a R.A.T. 7 mouse on Windows XP?

Reply 1 of 6, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

The R.A.T. 7 isn't considerd retro just yet i hope since it was the mouse i used before my current one.... 😁
It should work just fine under windows XP as thats what I did with it at the time I bought it, if they dont offer XP drivers anymore try google. the 2nd and 3th hit on google were XP drivers for me 😉

Reply 2 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:

The R.A.T. 7 isn't considerd retro just yet i hope since it was the mouse i used before my current one.... 😁

No, but I posted here because I've seen people get scolded for posting XP related questions in other forums since it's no longer a supported OS.

Richo wrote:

It should work just fine under windows XP as thats what I did with it at the time I bought it, if they dont offer XP drivers anymore try google. the 2nd and 3th hit on google were XP drivers for me 😉

How do I know what sites to trust? I don't want to just pick a site at random. Plus, it's been my experience that the list of supported Windows versions on third party sites isn't always accurate. Back when I was using Win98, I downloaded plenty of programs from sites like C/Net or MajorGeeks that were listed as being 98 compatible, but the program wasn't.

One of the sites that comes up when I search for XP drivers is this one;

http://www.driverscape.com/download/cyborg-r. … mouse-%28hid%29

The first link is a scam for some driver installer, then there's a 133.17MB Zip file that contains two files and a half Chinese HTML disclaimer inside it;

Range_RAT7_SD7_0_20_0_32Bit_Drivers.exe
Smart Technology 7_0_27_13 32bit.exe

Avast says there's no threat detected, but I'm not sure I trust them.

This page;

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/cyborg-r-a-t-7/get127814.html

Lists 7.0.45.2 as being XP compatible, but this one;

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and … ity-70452.shtml

Only lists it as being compatible with Win7/8/10.

And I still don't know if the smaller ~2MB driver includes the ability to change the settings or if I need the ~100MB software for that. I downloaded the "manual", but it reads more like a sales brochure than an instruction manual.

I found an old email address for Mad Catz support and have sent them an email, so I'll see if they respond.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Just looked up the mouse.

WTF, how do you use it? 😕 And whays up with the thumb screw looking things?

As for drivers have you tried driver guide.

Reply 4 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Just looked up the mouse.

WTF, how do you use it? 😕 And whays up with the thumb screw looking things?

It's really just a funky looking mouse. It looks like it would be uncomfortable to use, but it's not. Keep in mind that without the custom drivers, many of the fancy options don't work for me, so I'm just describing what it's supposed to do.

The prominent silver roller is a second scroll wheel that you can use with your thumb. the one under the back edge is actually a hex tool that you can unscrew and use to remove/attach the pinky and thumb rests and move the thumb rest forward and back. By loosening a screw, you can also angle it out more or less. With the tool unscrewed, you can also unscrew a cap and add or remove weights to make the mouse heavier or lighter. There are the standard three buttons, as well as two on the left side for use with your thumb. The button right behind the scroll wheel is supposed to let you select between (I think) four user-selectable DPI settings, plus the small red button on the left is a precision aiming button that lowers the DPI while it's held down to making aiming easier. There's also a "Mode" button to the left of the left button, which I'm not sure what it does, and the back edge of the left button is marked "Rapid Fire". You can also slide the back part of the body closer or further away depending on how large your hand is.

New ones come with extra parts that you can use. I think there are a couple different pinky rests, a couple different thumb rests and a couple different pieces for the back of the mouse. I don't have those extra parts, just what's on the mouse itself.

Jade Falcon wrote:

As for drivers have you tried driver guide.

Yes. They don't have anything listed. All that comes up is some scam driver update program. How do I know it's a scam? Because just for the hell of it, I searched for "scrotum remover" and the same link came up.

In other news, my email to the Mad Catz support address bounced. It took a couple days, but it finally came back as undeliverable, so that's a dead end. 🙁

Reply 5 of 6, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first drivers that you listed should include drivers for XP. I'm running version 42 (you listed version 45) right now on my XP system.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 6 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nekurahoka wrote:

The first drivers that you listed should include drivers for XP. I'm running version 42 (you listed version 45) right now on my XP system.

Thanks for the reply. After my last post, I found this page;

https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_pa … 2&v_code=512#11

It's a little confusing because they have everything jumbled together, but it looks like 7.0.60.6 is the latest driver for XP, and 7.0.45.2 is the latest version of the configuration program.

Although it does seem strange that earlier models, like R.A.T. 4 only have drivers for later versions of Windows. Seems like it should be the other way around.

BTW, am I correct in assuming that the 97MB software/application is needed to customize the mouse settings? Or is that just for managing profiles?

No, I still haven't installed the drivers. I can be a huge procrastinator sometimes. 😀