User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

Somehow it fixed itself, now it boots from CDs without any problem

I wonder if this trend will continue, but hey, as long as it works right? 😀
Did you not tinker with it?

But still I'd recommend you get additional optical drives (especially nicer IDE ones). It's really no fun having to depend on problems with lacking materials or lacking tools.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 25, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I wonder if this trend will continue, but hey, as long as it works right? :) Did you not tinker with it? […]
Show full quote
Elia1995 wrote:

But still I'd recommend you get additional optical drives (especially nicer IDE ones). It's really no fun having to depend on problems with lacking materials or lacking tools.

At the moment I'd honestly need a bunch of working IDE hard drives rather than optical drives... I have only that one IDE hardisk and if one day it decides to die like the others...

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 23 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
I wonder if this trend will continue, but hey, as long as it works right? :) Did you not tinker with it? […]
Show full quote
Elia1995 wrote:

At the moment I'd honestly need a bunch of working IDE hard drives rather than optical drives... I have only that one IDE hardisk and if one day it decides to die like the others...

Where I live, harddrives were always harder to find locally then other standard PC parts, if only because people have been aware of data theft here in The Netherlands for a long time now, so harddrives tend to be the among the first parts that go missing when a rig is incomplete. I always tended to have to compromise (or pay a lot of money for an oversized new one).
I fixed this by buying a couple smallish lots of old harddrives (like 20GB to 80GB or so), but it was kinda hard to get some cheaply. I ended up basically getting them anywhere, just had to keep my eyes open for opportunities to arise.

If you have the money, you could see if you can get some SSDs, but I got no experience with those.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SATA drives with adapters are excellent, as are CF cards and adapters (for any OS like DOS with no swap file). I've heard SD to IDE adapters work well, including wear leveling support, but I have no experience with them. The SATA to IDE adapters also work well with newer SATA optical drives, although those often exclude CD audio headers.

If you want to remain 100% period correct, you're still stuck with the original problem, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder