VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I have installed the game onto my DOS gaming setup from the original CD, but there's two issues I'm having:

1) This may sound silly, but how the hell do I change the resolution to 640x480 or 1024x768? I see nowhere in-game or in the settings program to do this, and it's really annoying me.

2) The audio in the menus (after the intro or any other animations play) is quite stuttery. In-game audio seems fine. I made a quick video showing what I mean below. I actually also get this problem sometimes in Flight Unlimited, too.

Any help would be nice. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjUc1K1uW0A

Reply 2 of 11, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

1) Combat variables at the menu while in the frontend menus (title etc), not ingame.

Well, that's one down. Thanks. Can't believe I didn't think about that...

Reply 3 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In game audio is provided from CD where menu music is provided by synthesizer. Do you have a MIDI device?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 11, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

In game audio is provided from CD where menu music is provided by synthesizer. Do you have a MIDI device?

I'm referring to the sampled audio being stuttery after animations play. Music is fine. Look at the video I linked in the original post and you'll see what I mean.

Reply 6 of 11, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I see. What's the sound card?

Integrated Opti 82C930 on the motherboard. Sound Blaster Pro and Windows Sound System compatible in DOS. For the most part does the job pretty well for me, especially because it has an actual Yamaha OPL3 chip on the board for FM audio.

Reply 7 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't own an Opti sound chip, so there might be peculiarities specific to it, but one possibility is it being starved. Did you opt for the full install or partial?

Reply 9 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you try the full install? It would eliminate issues of the CD reading slowly.

Reply 10 of 11, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the slight wait. Things came up. Anyways, that didn't fix it. I'm pretty sure with the recommend install everything except the CD music and FMVs are on the HDD, anyway.

Reply 11 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alrighty. Can you try different IRQs and DMA channels to eliminate potential conflicts?