VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Somehow i'm unable to install Windows 2000 on a Dual Pentium III whit some SCSI card in it. I downloaded the appropriate driver and copied it to a 3.5" disk. Than i boot the machine from CD, pressed F6 when asked and select the driver from the disk. Now i can Format the harddisk, so Windows sees the Driver from the disk. When booted without the driver disk i receive and error message that no harddisk is found. So after formatting the harddisk it starts to copy, and now i get the error message that he can't copy some files. That are the files from the Driver-Disk. Without the driver i can continue but get a BSOD while rebooting.

I tried two different SCSI cards. What am i doing wrong?

On the driver disk all the files are in the root, but that is right when i remember right.

Reply 2 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A dual p3 with scsi... hmm.

Literally EVERY board I know of in this era has an Adaptec chip. I'd wager money on the AIC-7899w. That part is in the HCL for win 2k.

Don't do the F6 part, see what happens. If it isn't the 7899, which chip is it?

if that isn't the issue, is the drive properly terminated with a good quality cable.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 5, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I'm not doing the F6 part while installing, the installer will stop whit the error message "Now harddisk Found". The onboard SCSI is a LSI, not Adaptec. But the PCI cards i use are Adaptec, because the LSI has not RAID function.

The Problem is not whit the SCSI itself. Termination, cable and configuration are good and working.

It is some where on the Floppy. Somehow the installer sees the driver, recognize the harddisk after the driver is provided. But than when start coping the driver from the disk it won't work. The rest of the installation works fine. So when i skip the the files windows is unable to find, the installer will continue copying the content from the CD to the harddisk. Reboots and give a BSOD "inaccessible Boot device" because the driver from the disk are not copied.

One Workaround i could imagine, is to install windows 2000 without the driver. After installation i don't reboot into W2K but boot from the HirensBoot CD whit the SCSI driver. And copy the driver from the disk to the appropriate location on the harddisk. But on what location?