VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 486 has a network card. I was thinking, about connecting to BBS, but never done it without Windows.
- What hardware I need to connect to Wi-fi network?
- Do I need some special drivers, configuration to access network?
- What software is best for bbs visiting? Kermit?
- What are some good bbs's?

Reply 1 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you do it in MS-DOS, you can use a packet driver + Brutman's mTCP apps for MS-DOS and then use telnet. What network card do you have?

http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/

Here are a couple of BBS lists

http://synchro.net/sbbslist.html

http://telnetbbsguide.com/

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) you can connect your 486 to a modern PC equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter and create a bridge connection;
2) you can wait for the next batch of WiFi232. It's basically a Wi-Fi adapter that connects to a serial port and acts as a legitimate modem.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

1) you can connect your 486 to a modern PC equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter and create a bridge connection;
2) you can wait for the next batch of WiFi232. It's basically a Wi-Fi adapter that connects to a serial port and acts as a legitimate modem.

If the wifi232 code was available it wouldnt be hard to DIY this is basically one MAX232(that convert rs232 to ttl) and one esp8266.
I have plans to code and build my own but i need the time, but as soon as i'm done i will post it open source.
Because its a simple thing and retro stuff is already too expensive for me.

Reply 6 of 9, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for all your responses.
I looked at the hardware. I have 3Com EtherLink III card. I have one of those Wifi Ethernet adapters. If will try to connect, will it just ask for wifi password?
What drivers I should use for that card, and how to access bbs with mTCP software. Should I run some file and just type the address?

Reply 7 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:

Thank you for all your responses.
I looked at the hardware. I have 3Com EtherLink III card. I have one of those Wifi Ethernet adapters. If will try to connect, will it just ask for wifi password?
What drivers I should use for that card, and how to access bbs with mTCP software. Should I run some file and just type the address?

I don`t think that any driver for WiFi adapters exists for MS-DOS, but im not sure.
My Pentium build has a Ethernet(wired) adapter 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC w/3XP(Model 3CR990-TX-95).
I installed the mstcp and the drivers for msdos and windows for workgroups 3.11 , and it work flawlessly.

Reply 8 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have an ethernet jack in my room but the router is in the next room. I have a Linksys E2500 router that I put DD-WRT on it and told it to act as a client bridge... essentially I plug my desktop + retro PC into the E2500 via ethernet and then it connects to the main router via WiFI. This setup has been working great for years.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

I don't have an ethernet jack in my room but the router is in the next room. I have a Linksys E2500 router that I put DD-WRT on it and told it to act as a client bridge... essentially I plug my desktop + retro PC into the E2500 via ethernet and then it connects to the main router via WiFI. This setup has been working great for years.

Yes this should work, for a pretty cheap and easy alternative using bridge is TP-Link Nano TL-WR702N