VOGONS

First post, by Dead_Christmas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I didn't see an intro post thread, so, howdy!

I'm trying to install Windows 95 (CD) and I can't seem to get DOS 6.22 (boot disk) to detect my CD ROM's drivers. How would I go about getting the drivers to a place where DOS can detect and use them.

This is all being done on hardware, not a virtual machine.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 32, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dos 6.22 doesn't have native cd-rom support (so no driver). I am a little confused, are you trying to load drivers located on your hard disk?

You are probably best off using a win95 bootdisk. I don't know if they all have cd-rom support. A Windows 98 bootdisk definitely would, and the net is probably loaded with images.

Last edited by smevans526 on 2017-08-23, 03:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 32, by Dead_Christmas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first time with an OS like 95, so I wasn't sure how to install it these days. I read a guide on the internet which I can't currently find. It provides me with a Windows 6.22 image, and that works fine but there's no CD ROM driver. I'll try the 95 disk, then 98 if 95 disk gives me any issues.

Reply 5 of 32, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Windows 98 boot disk comes standard with CD-ROM drivers.
My advice is to boot up with the above mentioned boot disk, create your partition and format your hard drive (using FDISK), create an installation folder on your hard drive, copy the setup files from the CD-ROM to your hard drive and just install Windows 95 from your hard drive (much faster).

Just confirm which version of Windows 95 you have, since versions prior to 95B didn't support FAT32 (large disk support).

Reply 7 of 32, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The time stamp of the files on the disc will be an indication.
If it is dated 1996-08-24 or later, then you have a version that will support FAT32.
Also refer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95#Editions

Reply 8 of 32, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is a retail CD, isn't it automatically the original version? I thought service packed versions were only released to OEMs.

jesolo's answer is better, but, I think if it doesn't say something like 'for a new pc only', it automatically is the original version.

Reply 9 of 32, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smevans526 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is a retail CD, isn't it automatically the original version? I thought service packed versions were only released to OEMs.

jesolo's answer is better, but, I think if it doesn't say something like 'for a new pc only', it automatically is the original version.

Correct - it is also mentioned on the Wikipedia page that I referred to (it will state on the CD-ROM "For distribution only with a new PC").

Reply 10 of 32, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it's pre-win95b, is it a big problem? Can't it just be patched with service pack 2? I mean... Is it such a big problem if the user just patches it? The patches seem rapidly available and are not abandonware. Does the user still get fat32?

Reply 11 of 32, by Dead_Christmas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It appears that I am in possession of the original, OEM version. I will create a windows 98 boot disk and format my hard disk with FAT16. If I run into any issues, I will report back.

Reply 12 of 32, by Dead_Christmas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, well, that didn't take long.

The CD ROM drive is not even being detected, but it works and lights up? I don't understand. BIOS even detects it. What could possibly be going wrong? It's a Lite-on SOHW-1673S.

Reply 13 of 32, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dead_Christmas wrote:

Alright, well, that didn't take long.

The CD ROM drive is not even being detected, but it works and lights up? I don't understand. BIOS even detects it. What could possibly be going wrong? It's a Lite-on SOHW-1673S.

After booting with the Windows 98 boot disk, did you receive an option menu?
If so, choose option 1 and see if you receive any error messages.

Reply 14 of 32, by Dead_Christmas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't get anywhere. That's actually what I did the first time: Run with CD ROM support, but it says something along the lines of "No CD-ROM Drive detected, aborting installation".

Reply 17 of 32, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How is your DVD drive connected?
As a slave device on your primary IDE channel (together with your hard drive) or, on its own IDE (secondary) channel?
Try the following:
Connect your DVD drive to your secondary IDE channel by connecting the end of the cable to your drive and set the jumper setting on your DVD drive to "master".
If that doesn't work, change the jumper setting to "cable select".
If that doesn't work, connect your DVD drive as a slave device on your primary IDE channel (the connector in the middle of the cable) and set the jumper to "slave" and, if still giving problems, to "cable select".
I've also had some DVD drives in the past that wouldn't work together with other devices on the same IDE channel.

Also, swop out your IDE cable (it might be faulty) but, this isn't likely the problem.

Reply 18 of 32, by Dead_Christmas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I've made some progress.

I found out that the CD drive was still using the slave jumper position, instead of master like it should have. Once I switched it to master, it only gave me an error for not being able to read drive c, probably because it assumed the DVD drive was C:\ (no hard disk was connected). The only thing I need to know now is how to configure the devices' different jumpers. HDD should be master and CD drive should be on slave, right? Or could I do both master but have them on different channels and cables? I apologize in advance, I'm not used to this kind of setup.

Reply 19 of 32, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've crossed paths with many hard drives and never had a hard time finding their jumper settings online. Just search google, but be smart. For example, for an IBM DSAA-3360, don't search for 'DSAA-3360' and 'jumpers' since the 3360 just relates to hard drive size. Search for 'DSAA' and 'jumpers'.

I'd put them both on MASTER and use two separate channels -- even if it means paying for a second IDE cable.