VOGONS

First post, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lately I've been benchmarking some hardware on a super socket 7 system running Win98SE. I decided I'd like to test Unreal Tournament.
It seems that the most accepted way to benchmark this game is with the gameplay demo "UTBench.dem". I like this idea better than benchmarking the intro flyby movie.
The problem is that it seems utbench.dem has disappeared from the internet, or at least I can't find any trace of it. It is supposed to be downloaded, it's not something that came with the game.

Anybody know where I can find it?

Reply 3 of 5, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I find UT99 terrible for benchmarking as FPS is based almost completely on CPU performance. Unless that's what you are going for that is. 😎

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 4 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fusion wrote:

I find UT99 terrible for benchmarking as FPS is based almost completely on CPU performance. Unless that's what you are going for that is. 😎

I was already benchmarking Unreal, but decided I should try something a little harder. It's easier to come up with synthetic benchmarks than actual games, at least for me.

Unreal/UT99 have some relevance to me since there's a good chance I'll actually play them, although I don't think I'll play them on socket 7, so in that sense I guess it's a bit artificial. I'm also testing Ultima 9. I tried to test X-Wing Alliance, but it's framerate locked and can max out the cap at almost any res.

To an extent I am interested in a CPU comparison though, so even if UT99 ends up indifferent to what GPUs I plug in, it will still be interesting.
On the socket-7, I'm basically settled with a K6-3 450MHz and I'm testing different cards and drivers. Later in the future, I might build a slot-1 with more 450MHz CPUs for comparison. If I do that I'm going to intentionally use the crappiest slot-1 VIA chipset I have, because I think it's the most comparable to the MVP3 and would minimize that variable.

On that note, is there some way to disable 3DNow support in UT99? I read somewhere that -nok6 was supposed to do it, but it didn't affect the results at all. Also tried -no3dnow.

Reply 5 of 5, by PoweredByJenga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for posting the utbench.zip

It 's hard to find the old benchmark staff.. eg i had to find my old backup cds from 15 years ago do find a dday landing benchmark demo for CoD2. I know that there are ways around it (play it again, record etc etc) but i want to see how my old hardware from 15 years ago did and what i need to put together now (for next to nothing) to replicate it.

Cheers