VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows/WfW 3.11 automatically disables SMARTDRV if you turn on "32-bit File Access", since that particular vxd handles disk caching in Windows..... and much faster since its a protected mode driver. Windows 3.10 lacks this option.

Reply 21 of 39, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps I can checkout if smartdrive makes things better while using the "dos-hardfile" on my PM7300 with my Apple 166Mhz Pentium1 PC-Card.
Without smartdrv the sound sometimes hang/stutters/slowdowns.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 22 of 39, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smevans526 wrote:

Can SMARTDRV work with with files bigger than what's been allocated for the cache?

I think it doesn't work per-file, but rather per-sector or per-cluster.

And if I remember correctly, the bigger the cache, the more conventional or upper memory smartdrv eats because it has to keep track of what it has in the cache.
40 MB seems to be very big smartdrv cache. Normal sizes used back then were 1 or 2 MB.

Last edited by Azarien on 2022-06-09, 18:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

Windows/WfW 3.11 automatically disables SMARTDRV if you turn on "32-bit File Access", since that particular vxd handles disk caching in Windows..... and much faster since its a protected mode driver. Windows 3.10 lacks this option.

True. With both FastDisk+32-bit File Access enabled, WfW almost never falls back to real-mode.
If I'm not mistaken, it even intercepts int 21h calls to the DOS API (ABI).

Out of all 16-Bit Windows flavors, WfW 3.11 is perhaps the closest to a real operating system.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 39, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only ever use smarydrive with disabling write back. i use for read cache only.

mostly, ncache2 is much better than smartdrive too!

If you have enough ram, a 16mb cache is fine for hd's. ncache2 lets you see the stats, which is interesting data.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 28 of 39, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smevans526 wrote:

Tried to play Space Quest 4 on a 486 system...

You may also want to consider some of the patches from vogons member newrisingsun that alter the timing on certain parts of the game so they are less dependent on specific CPU speed.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 29 of 39, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smevans526 wrote:

I might be highjacking my own thread, but, what is 'write back'?

where writes are cached, thats when if the machine crashes, you get incomplete writes on disk, missing/corrupted data etc.

if you need to run smartdrive use /x to disable write caching.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 30 of 39, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:
smevans526 wrote:

Tried to play Space Quest 4 on a 486 system...

You may also want to consider some of the patches from vogons member newrisingsun that alter the timing on certain parts of the game so they are less dependent on specific CPU speed.

The game runs stable with the 5x86 running at full speed. I don't even get an error with my mt32. I just stand everyone's mouths and arms flapping around like humming birds. Quest for glory iv is unplayable though... 'not an object'

Reply 31 of 39, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2017-09-03, 16:46:
SmartDrive can be counter-productive on slow systems. Especially if you've got a fast HDD or a flash medium already. […]
Show full quote

SmartDrive can be counter-productive on slow systems.
Especially if you've got a fast HDD or a flash medium already.

I think SmartDrive makes sense for single-speed CD-ROM drives, though.
150KB/s are barely enough for CD-ROM games with FMVs.

Sorry to reopen but again found a point that is making up my mind.

I read this statement already somewhere else but never could find a prove for this.

It could only be about cpu utilization. As i benchmarked on my 386sx DOMs, CFs and large 16MB Cached HDDs. Read/Write instructions where always faster with smartdrv. I timed various copy operations for that. My explanation is that access to memory ram is always faster than the access via PIO - even there is a fast hdd or large cache behind. It will still be behind the PIO I/Os

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 / 386SX25@30 / 16MB / CL-GD5434 / CT2830/ SCC-1&MT32 / Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 / 486DX/2 66(@80) / 32MB / TGUI9440 / LAPC-I

Reply 32 of 39, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC, DOS 6.2 fixed a bug with writing back incomplete data upon program exit but not if the program locks up. I can use SMARTDRV on a Win98SE tower in DOS mode but am wondering if there's a better choice.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 33 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marco wrote on 2024-04-03, 19:32:
Sorry to reopen but again found a point that is making up my mind. […]
Show full quote
SmartDrive can be counter-productive on slow systems. Especially if you've got a fast HDD or a flash medium already. […]
Show full quote

I read this statement already somewhere else but never could find a prove for this.

It could only be about cpu utilization. As i benchmarked on my 386sx DOMs, CFs and large 16MB Cached HDDs. Read/Write instructions where always faster with smartdrv. I timed various copy operations for that. My explanation is that access to memory ram is always faster than the access via PIO - even there is a fast hdd or large cache behind. It will still be behind the PIO I/Os

That should be right for most 386 class... the fly in the ointment is when any memory expansion is on the ISA bus, then you end up hammering that bus three times for one piece of data vs once to get it straight from disk.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 34 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi there! I believe at the time I was thinking mainly about SmartDrive on slow 286s and SmartDrive on 386/486s in conjunction with the usual memory managers (v86 can slow them down).

Because, to be really useful, SmartDrive requires lots of memory for buffering/chaching data.
So either EMS (fast via chipset/dedicated board) or Extended Memory is being required in some form.

I really recommend trying out the cloaking-enabled SmartDrive versions (Helix products).
They don't require EMS or help of v86 based memory managers.

Another factor to consider is linear reads vs random reads.
Playing back a wave file or movie is different to reading a couple of data files.

That's like with the issue with modern NCQ enabled hard disks (native command queueing).
In theory, NCQ is great (elevator principle, in which every floor is being reached in most efficient way), but it can also slow down linear access.

So it really depends on how the caching algorithm works, I guess.
Some programs are sector based (SmartDrive?), while others are FAT/file based (FastOpen).

The 150KB/s CD-ROM drive are (were) sort of a dilemma, I think.
They can't buffer any meaningful data and do always "squeak around" a lot (thinking of the Mitsumi LU005S here):
There's always lots of head movement involved, for each file being accessed.

So at this point, I think, SmartDrive can't hurt performance anymore here.
Any type of caching being done (be it reading ahead in a linear fashion or be it reading random, nearby sectors etc) reduces erratic head movement, even if there's little actual performance being gained.

The use of a cache makes it effectively slower sometimes, maybe, but at least the erratic head movement goes away.
The drive will operate more smoothly, all in all.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 35 of 39, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My theory on why CD drives run slower with caching:
1- It is reading ahead data that probably won't be used.
2- If the cached data was indeed being used, the CD won't be accessed, which sounds good, but then the drive might have the time to trigger spin down, which makes the next uncached access waaaay slower.

It is all circumstantial, but with the above I can see how it could lead to very annoying stutters.

Reply 36 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wbahnassi wrote on 2024-04-06, 14:18:
My theory on why CD drives run slower with caching: 1- It is reading ahead data that probably won't be used. 2- If the cached da […]
Show full quote

My theory on why CD drives run slower with caching:
1- It is reading ahead data that probably won't be used.
2- If the cached data was indeed being used, the CD won't be accessed, which sounds good, but then the drive might have the time to trigger spin down, which makes the next uncached access waaaay slower.

It is all circumstantial, but with the above I can see how it could lead to very annoying stutters.

That makes sense, though the early CD drives never spun down (or if they did, merely after some notable idling).
They rather kept rotating steadily on same speed like an ordinary CD player.

That's also when things like CAV and CLV come into play, I think.
Modern drives to spin up and down a lot.
So utilities like CD-Speed can be very useful, I think.
They do allow some drives to keep running at, say, 4x speed all time.

//My video channel//

Reply 37 of 39, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blood and Shadow Warrior benefit greatly from SmartDrv in my experience. Far less HDD access (and noise) and much less stuttering specially when things explode.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 38 of 39, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With regards to Smartdrv in general my experience is that it’s not really not Game specific. Each I/O operation benefits from it. Whether it’s ingame or just for starting same.

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 / 386SX25@30 / 16MB / CL-GD5434 / CT2830/ SCC-1&MT32 / Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 / 486DX/2 66(@80) / 32MB / TGUI9440 / LAPC-I

Reply 39 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-06, 01:49:
Show full quote
Show full quote

That should be right for most 386 class... the fly in the ointment is when any memory expansion is on the ISA bus, then you end up hammering that bus three times for one piece of data vs once to get it straight from disk.

That's why I think that it's okay to levitate ISA bus performance a little bit.
A 286 or 386 is being hindered by the standard bus frequency of ~8MHz.

If it's being allowed to run at 10 or 12 MHz (or 13 MHz, some boards don't like 12),
ISA has about enough bandwidth to not to be such a bottleneck for the system and expansion cards all the time. 😁

That being said, I try to make an exception here, as I'm not so much a fan of overclocking all the time.
It's rather about getting free of bottlenecks. Wait states included.
Sometimes having a slower clock frequency and no wait states can be smoother in overall.

//My video channel//