VOGONS

First post, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Title speaks for itself. I generally have a negative view towards SMARTDRV. Most early CD games I remember say 'turn it off'.

But it was defended in the 'Conventional Memory Trick' thread under the DOS section.

I actually can't find anything on specific games benefiting from SMARTDRV enabled. Did I overlook it? If not, can anybody provide some examples?

Reply 2 of 30, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally, Smartdrive can make things better, but not worse (unless there is a bug). The only reason to turn it off would be due to the memory it consumes. However, there are plenty of ways to generate enough upper memory blocks to shove it there and leave enough conventional memory free.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 30, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

Generally, Smartdrive can make things better, but not worse

That's not exactly right. It will make things worse if you enable it for removable or optical media, as that simply does not work well with what SMARTDRV does.

Reply 4 of 30, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't there a switch to disable cache on specific drives?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, once I made sure to have enough low memory (umbpci or whatever that tool was called) I did use smartdrv with Ultima 7. it was noticeable. And Ultima 8 as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the /U switch that you are referring to - it does not load smartdrive's CD-ROM caching module - it really does cause issues in some games so it's a good idea to have this switch always enabled

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 30, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

It will make things worse if you enable it for removable or optical media, as that simply does not work well with what SMARTDRV does.

Well, removable media was not really a thing back then. Optical - yes, and as was mentioned there is a special switch to control whether to load it or not.

What downsides can there be on enabling Smartdrive on CD-ROM drives? Are there games with known issues?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 30, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

What downsides can there be on enabling Smartdrive on CD-ROM drives?

Loading times will be worse, as SMARTDRV does read-ahead, which isn't something you want on media with very slow seeking.

Reply 11 of 30, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had a few issues with file corruption with smartdrv. I think if you're using a period correct hard drive, smartdrv can make a big difference. But even a hard drive from the late 90s is fast enough to negate many of the smartdrv benefits. If I do use it, I make sure to disable write caching, just to keep my files safe.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 30, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

Isn't there danger of data loss if a computer running SMARTDRV is shut down without first clearing cache?

Yes. Only if you don't disable write caching though. In my instance, file corruption happened when I was playing a game in DOS with smartdrv write caching enabled, and the game crashed. Games sometimes crash, and if data is not written back to disk before that, bye bye data. 🤣

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 30, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have found that SMARTDRV slows WAKE OF THE RAVAGER and the SIERRA games the on run on WINDOWS 386 EXTENDED. Examples include TORIN'S PASSAGE and PHANTASMAGORIA. Their manuals specifically state to turn off SMARTDRV. This is on a system with 64mb of ram -- maybe even that's not enough memory. When I get the chance, I want to try LUCASARTS protected more games.

Reply 15 of 30, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

When it is on Windows you should indeed turn off smartdrv, I think.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 30, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running wcd -s on a large DOSBox partition takes a long time the first time it's done after Windows startup. Subsequent calls of the same command complete very quickly however. That happens even without SMARTDRV in memory, and across different instances of DOSBox, so clearly Windows is doing the caching.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 30, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Well, removable media was not really a thing back then.

Floppies are removable media.

I always had smartdrv enabled, it really improved loading times on 486-era hardware.

Dominus wrote:

When it is on Windows you should indeed turn off smartdrv, I think.

Not need to. Windows 3.x and 9x is compatible with smartdrv.

Reply 18 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SmartDrive can be counter-productive on slow systems.
Especially if you've got a fast HDD or a flash medium already.

I think SmartDrive makes sense for single-speed CD-ROM drives, though.
150KB/s are barely enough for CD-ROM games with FMVs.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 30, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like people on this forum use SMARTDRV about 5 different ways. I didn't use /u, inefficient. The Windows 3.11 system I have contains 64mb of ram, and probably uses only about 16mb at most. I think I'll set aside about 40mb and see how that influences operation. I have a large hard drive, so I configured games like KQVII to call data found in RESOURCESND and RESOURCESFX from the hard drive instead of the cd. They come as one big file, larger than 40mb.

Can SMARTDRV work with with files bigger than what's been allocated for the cache?