VOGONS

First post, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any of you guys running Wolf3D with multiple soundcards? And - Are you able to control which card it uses? Seems like it doesn't go on BLASTER environment and has some sort of init priority (perhaps based on resource usage?).

Just wondering.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1 of 5, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK so despite the source code checking the BLASTER environment variable and allowing for DMA channels 0,1, and 3 - it looks like it really wants to use DMA 1 - or at least it did in the version I was using.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 5, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey there,

I am running 2 sound cards -- a Sound Blaster Pro 2 and an AWE 64 Gold. I can use either one in Wolfenstein 3D not by using the 'SETBLAST.EXE" that comes with the game but just by using the SET BLASTER= command.

On my machine..

SBPRO2 - SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4
AWE64 - SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D0 T6

So it is definitely possible but I think the little program they package with the game for setting your Sound Blaster is just junk -- it will work fine if I'm using the SBPro2 but will give an error whenever I try to change the settings for the AWE64. Regardless, just using SET BLASTER in DOS or autoexec and launching straight into the game will give me sound with either card.

Reply 3 of 5, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey infiniteclouds - Good to hear from you.

So the additional details for me (and for the machine in question) -
YMF-719 @ A220 I7 D1 (and the WSS component uses D0)
AWE64 Gold @ A240 I5 D3 H5

I typically change which card to use with a batch file that loads the appropriate BLASTER env variable. I haven't gone as far as reconfiguring PnP resources on the fly just yet - If that is the case, I just let it use the one it wants (i.e. Halloween Harry is DMA 1 or bust - so it gets the YMF right now)

I haven't seen a SETBLAST with any iteration of Wolf3D that I have used. I have always just used the SET BLASTER method.

I did spend a little time working PnP resources so I could get the AWE64 to use DMA 1 and shove YMF (both SBPro and WSS) to use DMA 0 - and it worked. The soundtrack played out the YMF's chip and the digital sounds went through the AWE64 Gold. I was glad it was possible, but it wasn't great enough to bother with altering PnP settings for both cards and re-initializing just to run Wolf3D.

The irony is that I downloaded the source to Wolf 3D and started messing with the audio section a bit. Apparently that is worth my time? (Oh, hobbies!)

Reply 4 of 5, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To clarify, I have not tried using both sound cards at the same time for Wolfenstein 3D if that is what you're after here.

Also, I've found that some games are finicky and demand a SET BLASTER that only contains A#, I#, D# and T# -- nothing more/less -- for them to work. Hocus Pocus was one such game.

Reply 5 of 5, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote:

To clarify, I have not tried using both sound cards at the same time for Wolfenstein 3D if that is what you're after here.

Heh. It wasn't what I was initially after, no. I mostly just wanted to hear/compare the sound fx alone from the AWE64G vs the YMF.

That said, I have the adlib part of the AWE64G disabled, and that tends to "just work" in some cases when I switchover to a game where I want to use an AWE64G but the game still uses adlib for the soundtrack. Monster Bash for one example.

Also, I've found that some games are finicky and demand a SET BLASTER that only contains A#, I#, D# and T# -- nothing more/less -- for them to work. Hocus Pocus was one such game.

Definitely. Sometimes have to scale that string back in certain cases.