VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm preparing to move my current plaything to storage and start working on a computer that I think will remain on my current work desk for the foreseeable future. I am hoping to use it for a mix of Win98/Win2k/Warp4 retro experience to cover most of the eras I am nostalgic for.

A Dell Optiplex GX110 will form the backbone of this PC. The case as it is has the following hardware:

Dell i810E Socket 370 Motherboard with 4MB o/b VGA
Pentium III 733EB
256MB RAM
Seagate 20GB IDE HDD
48x CD-ROM
Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 (CT4750)

There are three things I want to change about the system in total;

- Replace the SB PCI 128 with a Dell OEM Sound Blaster Live! Value (CT4780)
- Replace the 48x CD-ROM with a 16x DVD-RW
- Add a Matrox G450 PCI

So my questions are:

1. Is this a sound Warp 4(.5) system?
2. Would I have issues with any of the hardware? (I realize that I need updted install disks for Warp 4, and have procured these.)
3. Are there any drivers I should go ahead and hunt down before hand? (I have located and downloaded the G450 drivers but the Live! drivers seem to be an odd case, lots of links spread all over the internet - what is the definitive SB Live! driver for Warp 4? Should I just stick to the PCI 128 ie. Ensoniq Audio PCI?)
4. Last Warp I installed was Warp 3 in 95; any links to a Win98/Win2k/Warp4 tripleboot installation tutorial?

Cheers 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 1, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm an OS/2 amateur so take what I say with a grain of salt...

The system sounds a little new for a good OS/2 machine, but with some newer drivers I think you should be a-ok. Particularly with the IDE stuffs, Danni's drivers are what you want... and probably included with the updated install disks you have. My biggest concern in more modern systems would be the graphics card, which if you have already found them, then great. I personally have a habit of finding all drivers I know I need before starting, but that is personal preference. So long as you have the proper network drivers for your NIC, you can find whatever else you need after the fact.

For audio, there is a "universal" audio driver floating around somewhere, you can probably find it on Hobbes (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu) if you can't find your specific hardware there.

As for dual/triple booting, I would use OS/2 FDISK (i.e. go through the first part of the OS/2 installation) to create the Boot Manager partition and install Boot Manager and set up the partitions. Then install your Windows OS's (98 then 2k), which will clobber the boot sector, but that's okay as long as the 8MB Boot Manager partition stays. Then, install OS/2, re-installing Boot Manager. That is how I set up dual boot with OS/2 and NT4 anyway, so I assume 2k and 98 should be okay that way too.

Good luck!