VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone running a setup of this sort that seems stable for games?

With an Aureal or Creative sound card using VXD drivers?

Reply 1 of 10, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Anyone running a setup of this sort that seems stable for games?

With an Aureal or Creative sound card using VXD drivers?

I am running 98Se with DX9c with creative soundblaster ct4830. I havent had any major problems. The only issues i have came across are usually game related or Win98 being win98.

I know alot of people only recommend dx7 such as philscomputerlab. But i only honestly didn't notice any difference apart from dx7 not supporting some games i like to play such as GTA San Andreas.

I got the Sound Blaster working with VXD Drivers and Sb16 Emulation. i had issues with WDM Drivers stuttering sound and not installing SB16 emulation. I also got native dos drivers working.

If anyone has evidence of the issues with dx8 or 9 please post, i really interested.

Reply 2 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you try playing Wheel of Time? There is a demo.
https://www.fileplanet.com/31769/30000/filein … el-Of-Time-Demo

I find that with DirectX 8 or 9 installed, Windows will hard lock when you quit this game and try to play it again. I think Homeworld does this too.

It seems to be related to sound card drivers because if there is no sound card it doesn't happen.

Reply 3 of 10, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:
Can you try playing Wheel of Time? There is a demo. https://www.fileplanet.com/31769/30000/filein … el-Of-Time-Demo […]
Show full quote

Can you try playing Wheel of Time? There is a demo.
https://www.fileplanet.com/31769/30000/filein … el-Of-Time-Demo

I find that with DirectX 8 or 9 installed, Windows will hard lock when you quit this game and try to play it again. I think Homeworld does this too.

It seems to be related to sound card drivers because if there is no sound card it doesn't happen.

Ok i will try it out tonight, give me about 24hours to get back just busy with work and stuff. I really enjoy doing these type of tests and troubleshooting. Would you mind to Install on your machine Midway arcade treasure deluxe? i had it working before i formatted but after i re-installed my computer the game will no longer work, every time i try to open it up it gives me a WMVCore.Dll error, i tried installing Winamp and Media player but didnt resolve the issue

Reply 4 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaKSLaP wrote:

Ok i will try it out tonight, give me about 24hours to get back just busy with work and stuff. I really enjoy doing these type of tests and troubleshooting. Would you mind to Install on your machine Midway arcade treasure deluxe? i had it working before i formatted but after i re-installed my computer the game will no longer work, every time i try to open it up it gives me a WMVCore.Dll error, i tried installing Winamp and Media player but didnt resolve the issue

I would happily do so, but yesterday I disassembled my 98 PC again to test some things on a Core 2 with Radeon X1950. I've been going back and forth testing Glide emulators on different cards. That's the main reason I'm interested in having DirectX 9 on 98SE. DGVoodoo can use D3D 9.

Reply 5 of 10, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:
JaKSLaP wrote:

I would happily do so, but yesterday I disassembled my 98 PC again to test some things on a Core 2 with Radeon X1950. I've been going back and forth testing Glide emulators on different cards. That's the main reason I'm interested in having DirectX 9 on 98SE. DGVoodoo can use D3D 9.

Ok Sweet, i am using NGlide 1.05 works fine in Windows98SE, all the games i have tried work great. You modify everything from a universal application. How is the Radeon X1950 in Windows98SE, Any Issues?

Reply 6 of 10, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i just tried it out and it works fine. I tried 3dFx Mode, Hardware and Software no crashes when closing. The GPU iam using is Geforce FX5600 Ultra
Sound Card: CT4830; driver version 4.12.0001.0906 emu10k1.xvd
Iam using Nglide 1.05.

let me know if you need anything else

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's in that build? Motherboard, CPU, drives, etc. Using USB for anything? What OS updates have you installed? Exactly which DirectX 9 package do you install?

I have troubleshooted this so thoroughly. Hours of swapping hardware and drivers. My thinking is it is a combination of factors including the OS itself, DirectX >7 on 9x, sound and video drivers, and game interactions because not all games cause it. I think in my case the main cause is the Aureal drivers. They certainly aren't meant to be used with DirectX 8 or 9. I can lock up the system 100% of the time across multiple motherboards, CPUs and GPUs with a Vortex 2 installed and Wheel of TIme played with DirectX 8 or 9 installed. 🤣

If you do some web searches on DDHELP crashes on 98 you will see people with similar problems.

X1950 doesn't have drivers for 98. I am using it with XP and Win7. It has a very nice 16-bit color error diffusion dithering that looks really great at high resolution. Old games that run 16-bit color or use low color depth textures look great.

Reply 8 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah it's the Vortex 2. I replaced it with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and loaded/quit Wheel of Time 6 times without a crash. Maybe I should try some different Vortex 2 driver versions, but both 2041 and 2046 crash.

Reply 10 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

WinMe with DX9 and Diamomd MX300 runs flawless.

Ok I put in the MX300 and installed Diamond's 1.02 driver and yeah it does appear to be stable with Wheel of Time with DirectX 9.

Diamond's drivers are version 2017. I tested 2015 and those work too. Driver 2031 and newer cause the lock up problem with some games while having DirectX >= 7.1. I didn't test 2048 because it has sound problems with some games that make it unappealing in general.

I'm happy to have figured this out.