VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started making a king of retro Gaming PC running Win98/W2K/WXP on a Asus A7VT400 mainboard. This is a nice small mainboard from a Asus Bearbone PC that is great for some Case mods. So i transferred it into an defective SGI Workstation and tried to install W98. But whit some Problems.

The hardware it self: Asus mainboard, socket 462, Vis Chipset. made 2003 and has W98 drivers on the Asus site. CPU is an Athlon XP running at default speed, 2083 Mhz. 256 MB ram (for installing W98, later will be upgraded). GPU is a Radeon 9600 Pro and the Harddisk is a 1TB SATA connected to PATA whit this Adapter. This works great. Cound format the harddisk whit on the Win98 CD own Fdisk program. I noticed when using other tools like MiniTool Partition Wizard often unable to boot even DOS. So Formatted the Disk using /S. Able to boot the DOS7 without any problem. Copied the content of the win98 Folder from the CD onto the harddisk and started the installation. Partition is 4 GB.

First steps works fine, rebooted, continued installation, entered user details and Key. And than it hang on detecting Hardware.

Bios is resetted cause of empty battery. Now what could it be. The Bios, the GPU or the Harddisk? Next to try is to disable all the hardware n the bios, even the sound and Networkcard. Should i enable or disable the PNP-OS function in the Bios?

Reply 1 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello, that's a really powerful system! 😀
I wished I had something like this (+little more RAM) when I got my first copy of Vista.

Unfortunately, I can't really give you an advice because of this.
Back in the golden days of bluescreens I used to use something like a Pentium 75 w/ 16MiB RAM and a 500MB HDD. 🤣
And an S3 Trio or Cirrus on-board VGA. It may sound silly, but that's what I had most of the time.
It was enough to run Need for Speed II SE and to do school work, at least.

But back to the topic - you can try to launch setup with some of the undocumented parameters.
Maybe this helps (skip auto-detection and/or ACPI/APIC).

Win Me, 98SE, 98, 95 Setup & Undocumented Switches
http://www.thpc.info/how/switches9x.html

Good luck! ^^

Roman78 wrote:

and the Harddisk is a 1TB SATA connected to PATA whit this Adapter.

Cool! Take care of 4K sectors (+alignment) and LBA48, though. 😉
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format
http://www.largeharddrivesupport.windowsreins … l.com/win98.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Roman78 wrote:

Bios is resetted cause of empty battery. Now what could it be. The Bios, the GPU or the Harddisk? Next to try is to disable all the hardware n the bios, even the sound and Networkcard. Should i enable or disable the PNP-OS function in the Bios?

Hard to say. It's Windows!

Anyway, I'm assuming you've replaced the CMOS battery, which is important. BIOS should be set for a PnP OS. Disable all the hardware during install and possibly even use an external video card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes to everything you said about disabling stuff. I don't trust Win9x and PNP best of times and found hardware still detects/works fine with it disabled.
Removing the NIC and Sound takes out the possibility that they are causing the issue.
You can enable them one by one if it works out that was causing the issue (which of course is still no guarantee)

Reply 4 of 8, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is the hardisk.

First I disabled all the hardware in the bios and reinstalled. Keeps the same. Than I removed the 1TB harddisk and used a 40 GiG PATA and it went trough. The pnp screen only came for about 20 seconds.

So it had to do whit the harddisk. Now I want to see if it is the size or the SATA-PATA adapter. I'll test it whit a 400Gb PATA and a 320 SATA disk.

What I could do, is to clone the installation from the 40 gig disk onto the 1TB.

.... And heck yeah.. it is a Powerful system 😁 even thought about watercooling... Still have a lot of older WC stuff from that time here..

Reply 7 of 8, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the w98 install must be done within the first 2^28 sectors (thanks to LBA28),
and only after applying the LBA28 --> LBA32(?) patch
then you can resize the partition using
non-destructive partition resizer program such as PowerQuest's Partition Magic.

-fffuuu

Reply 8 of 8, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. But i wont resize the win98 partition. I planned to make 3 triple boot along with W2K and Wxp. Using PowerQuest Boot Magic as boot manager, i like that one.

The Partition plan a.t.m. is:
Win98 8GB Primary Fat32
Win2K 8GB Primary NTFS
WXP 20GB Primary NTFS
and the rest as Extended and Fat32