VOGONS

First post, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the late 90s/early 00s, a friend of mine had an old Windows computer that came preloaded with some software (or game) that displayed various patterns and shapes using a star field, and it ran as a GUI application in windows. It was sort of like an old "demoscene" type app. I believe it was called Winstar 95 or Win Star 95 but google turns up nothing. It also had some catchy music in the background that used a famous sample from 2001 A space Odyssey - "My god, it's full of stars!"

Would be neat to find it again. Sound familiar to anyone?

Follow me on twitter

Reply 1 of 1, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huge thank you to Justin (@jpaglier) who messaged me on Twitter telling me he came across my post and knew what I was talking about and pointed me in the right direction.

The demo is by Monolith Productions and called "Winstar.exe" but in the titlebar it does say "WinStar 95" so I was on the right track!

It was included on the "GAMES FOR WINDOWS 95" CD bundled with many OEM PCs at the time., which explains how I came across it. The CD is uploaded on archive.org - https://archive.org/details/cdrom-win95-game-sampler - and the MDS file can be mounted with WinCDEmu. WINSTAR.EXE is in the DEMOS\MONOLITH

MELTDOWN.EXE, WINJIVE.EXE and WINPLAX.EXE in the same folder which are similar demos.

Amazingly it worked on Windows 10, though the star field goes much too fast. Plays the catchy music just fine though!

42t3GNM.png

Feels good to have this mystery that has been kicking around in the back of my head for years finally solved.

Follow me on twitter