VOGONS

Reply 21 of 26, by gwn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is an old post, but interesting as I was looking to do something like this. The way I would do it is gather a list of old games and sort by date. Then split the games based on the OS release dates.
You could then run a script, which could local the main game .exe file and somehow check if its a dos or windows executable (to filter out dos games). Thats a lot of work because there are a lot of games.

Reply 22 of 26, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About "exclusive" Windows 3.x and 9x games: There are those that uses the VGA registers directly and/or taking advantage of VxDs in ways they normally shouldn't in Windows. The WinDirect API by SciTech is a perfect example of this when used exclusively.

Technically Star Havoc counts too but that's a very obscure DOS game that requires LFN support and running within Windows 9x for the best stability.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 23 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is an old windows program to scan executables for what API they use and then categorize it per OS. It hasn't been updated since 9x days and I don't think it covered dependencies but there wasn't too many of those back then. Open source has made compatibility worse in that aspect heh. I have it squirreled away but am visiting my folks.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 26, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't seem to be many answers to the original question.

Full Tilt Pinball (the ancestor to Microsoft's free Space Cadet Pinball), only runs on 3.1 and 9x. There's separate installs for each of those OS's. 256-colour (minimum) is required. I don't have ME to test with.

I tried running the game on a W2K machine but it errors at start. The hardware is the same as used for the supported OS's.

When Microsoft modified it, they got it to work on all 32-bit versions of Windows, and also 16-colour became supported.

Reply 25 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-11-17, 00:43:

About "exclusive" Windows 3.x and 9x games: There are those that uses the VGA registers directly and/or taking advantage of VxDs in ways they normally shouldn't in Windows. The WinDirect API by SciTech is a perfect example of this when used exclusively.

Technically Star Havoc counts too but that's a very obscure DOS game that requires LFN support and running within Windows 9x for the best stability.

DxWnd handles VGA palette registers, I would exclude that from this criteria. Examples using this are Dark Vengeance, Campus Heroes and Terracide (Eidos).

For other ways that touch registers, I don't know (are there any excluding WinDirect/DispDib ones)?

Robbbert wrote on 2023-11-17, 05:28:
Doesn't seem to be many answers to the original question. […]
Show full quote

Doesn't seem to be many answers to the original question.

Full Tilt Pinball (the ancestor to Microsoft's free Space Cadet Pinball), only runs on 3.1 and 9x. There's separate installs for each of those OS's. 256-colour (minimum) is required. I don't have ME to test with.

I tried running the game on a W2K machine but it errors at start. The hardware is the same as used for the supported OS's.

When Microsoft modified it, they got it to work on all 32-bit versions of Windows, and also 16-colour became supported.

I just played FT Pinball on Windows 11 today 😉

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058