VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've noticed that no matter what 16-bit DOS application I run through windows 98 SE, pressing the F1 key will cause it to crash to desktop with an unhandled exception. It hasn't really bothered me much with the games I play but now I'm trying to do some actual work (In MS-DOS mode) using Voyetra SPG and it seems the f1 key causes the screen to scroll away leaving artifacted text and smiley faces on the screen, essentially causing a lockup requiring a restart. The same thing happens with edlib. So this issue is happening in both windows and DOS mode. Strangely, games do not crash or have any symptoms in dos mode, so it seems to stick to text mode applications.

In fact testing a little further, it even happens if I simply boot into dos mode and press F1 right at the text prompt. I've just changed out to a different keyboard and the symptom persists, it's making it extremely difficult to work because once it happens, there is no way to get back and save 😢 ..

Has anybody seen this before? It's as if a script is trying to run if I hit F1..

Boot into DOS mode:
lvh1mZa.png

Press F1:
gtmbkJ3.png

Hit it in SPG: (This one isn't so bad and it stays usable)
R5WqpPr.png

...But other times it will do this..
VTgwBje.png

System was just clean installed the other day, DOS mode set up using Phils guide for mouse and cd-rom support in dos mode. Besides installing the Awe32 my autoexec and config are essentially untouched.

Surely this isn't normal? I may try to just install MS-DOS 6.22 to a separate drive to use voyetra with and see if that stops it for now. I didn't want to have to run straight DOS until my socket 3 rig is ready.

Btw these are standard US 104 key (includes windows key) keyboards I'm using, if that matters.

Last edited by BeginnerGuy on 2017-09-24, 15:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawit wrote:

Try disabling CuteMouse. You're using a PS/2 keyboard?

Yeah ps/2, this is a 440bx chipset pentium 3 build. I'll see what happens with SPG without cutemouse in a moment.

Reply 3 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I disabled cutemouse in dos mode and it still happens. If I hit F1 on any DOS app in windows 98 it crashes for trying to execute an invalid instruction. This is weird 😒

Reply 5 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Replace the 8042 keyboard controller on the mainboard.

I've installed win xp to see how that does. Can somebody verify whether or not F1 at the desktop is supposed to bring up the help center?

edit: I tested in a virtual machine and F1 alone does bring up the help window. No issues in the command prompt in XP either. F1 does not crash 16 bit applications like it was in Win 98 SE either. It has to be something with the 98 installation. I'll try a DOS boot disk and see what happens.

Reply 6 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sigh. If I boot to DOS 6.22 the f1 key crashes it entirely, I also noticed this same symptom happens with the F11 key as well. It even crashes from within the bios, so something is very wrong. It's very erratic though, it functions as intended in windows XP, and if I launch a game like DOOM from within MS-DOS mode, F1 brings up help and F11 changes brightness as intended.

I guess I'm just going to have to live with this, I don't presume it's as simple as getting a cheap part to hand solder onto my 440bx motherboard as stated above. Shame that such a nice computer could be nearly ruined because of some buggy keyboard symptom 😢

** I just tried a PS2 to USB adapter, same symptoms.

Reply 7 of 12, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Sigh. If I boot to DOS 6.22 the f1 key crashes it entirely, I also noticed this same symptom happens with the F11 key as well. It even crashes from within the bios, so something is very wrong. It's very erratic though, it functions as intended in windows XP, and if I launch a game like DOOM from within MS-DOS mode, F1 brings up help and F11 changes brightness as intended.

definitely BIOS keyboard handler issues, try to update BIOS first or use diffiretnt keyboard (AFAIK there are keyboard drivers floating around, but most of them are just keyboard layout switchers for russian/AZERTY/etc layout so they perhaps will not help you)

by the way, does USB keyboard with USB support enabled works? (why not? 😀)

--wbcbz7

Reply 8 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wbc wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

definitely BIOS keyboard handler issues, try to update BIOS first or use diffiretnt keyboard (AFAIK there are keyboard drivers floating around, but most of them are just keyboard layout switchers for russian/AZERTY/etc layout so they perhaps will not help you)

by the way, does USB keyboard with USB support enabled works? (why not? 😀)

There is one more bios revision for this board but it seems quite minimal per the notes. I have tried two separate keyboards with the same exact symptoms. Hmm not sure if i have basic usb keyboard to test out, would these operate on a separate controller or bios handler from ps/2?

I'll try updating the bios first and see what happens. I can also write my own interrupt handler and try to see if i can bandage the issue at least for my own software. Based on the symptoms im guessing SPG is using the bios handler but DOOM does not (which is apparent since you can do multiple keypresses). Doom does not have any issue reading F1 or F11. Which would indicate this isn't hardware related, If it was an issue with the bios version i would expect it to be well documented though given the popularity of intel 440bx boards.

I'm wondering if windows XP loads its own keyboard interrupt as well, since i can't recreate these symptoms within xp.

Reply 10 of 12, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Sorry for repeating myself, but replace the 8042 keyboard controller on the mainboard.

I appreciate the comment but that's a bit of a stretch for me. You would have to at least provide some detail on locating and replacing this chip. Where is it located on an SE440BX-2 and can I find replacements online? I like learning but I can't find any information on this with search engines, motherboard repairs I've done in the past are limited to replacing caps and fixing corroded traces.

Also, I'm failing to understand how this would be a hardware issue when the problem does not seem to exist outside of software that uses the bios keyboard handler. Windows XP and any software I test that loads in it's own interrupt handler are responding properly to keypresses. If the hardware controller wasn't operating properly, I would expect the wrong scan code? WBC's post seems to agree that it's the bios. I'll write a program that will read out the scan codes directly and see for sure. Unless it's possible the hardware controller is still faulty, I don't know...

re wbc, I've updated to the latest bios revision for this board and I found a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800 (USB) to test, same symptoms persist! Shouldn't the USB keyboard be using a ps/2 emulator? Symptoms persist using USB legacy mode in real dos mode. Also, running a key reader in windows 98 shows the f1 key working properly:
gpoC8UW.png

Software seems to be picking up the proper scan, no buggy behavior in anything outside of Bios + Dos 6.22 or 16 bit applications =\. I suppose I've now exhausted every possibility outside of derSammlers. Though honestly I think I may just settle for a new board for now if need be.

Reply 11 of 12, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its likely a problem with the keyboard controller or BIOS. One trick to try is running EMM386 to force the machine into v86 mode while running DOS. See if the F1 key works. Another thing to try is removing the sound card, I have a machine that has weird keyboard problems (likely the controller) when SoundBlaster audio is playing and the machine is in real mode.

Reply 12 of 12, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I've updated to the latest bios revision for this board and I found a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800 (USB) to test, same symptoms persist! Shouldn't the USB keyboard be using a ps/2 emulator? Symptoms persist using USB legacy mode in real dos mode.

If the attached image is correct the keyboard controller seems to be involved in the emulation part. Can you set the keyboard clock in the BIOS? Often you can set it to 8/12/16 Mhz. Perhaps that has effect.

Attachments

• gpUUu.gif
    Filename
    gpUUu.gif
    File size
    2.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube