VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to get this game to work for the past day, but it keeps giving me a "divide overflow error". I know this has speed issues, and I've managed to get it running by turning of L1 and L2 cache, windows itself will not load with cache turned off.

Is there any way to bypass this? I only once got it to work, but then it only relied on PC Speaker and no other sound card worked. I know there is DOSBox, but there is something I really enjoy about running these kinds of games on my Windows 98.

The PC itself:
Abit AB-BH6 Motherboard, Intel 440BX Chipset
VooDoo3 3DFX 16MB AGP GPU
Pentium II-MMX 400Mhz, 512K Cache, 100 FSB
Creative Sound Blaster Live! with weird drivers that managed to make SB16 emulation actually resemble it

Reply 1 of 3, by Gentlepoke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there, I was able to resolve this today, so it's only fair to share my information.

The Divide Overflow Error relates to clock speeds, my fix was to use http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS/ and run the a flag, as it would run the CPU as if it was between a 386 and a 486 processor.

In regards to only being able to run PC Speaker, that is likely because the amount of available memory you have. I believe you need between 564kb to 580kb of Conventional Memory available. For that, I ended up using MEMMAKER which managed to me from 525k to around 603k free memory, more than enough to run even AdLib / SoundBlaster.

After following the above, you will finally be able to play the game. This should also work for the other games that Gremlin Interactive put out for DOS.

Reply 2 of 3, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lotus III runs fine on CPUs with less than 333MHz, otherwise you are required to patch the executable. Also find it's better to play it on pure DOS.

An easy solution is to downgrade the bus from 100MHz to 66MHz you will be able to play it without problems (4x66 = 266MHz).

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 3 of 3, by Gentlepoke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ViTi95 wrote on 2022-11-03, 10:03:

Lotus III runs fine on CPUs with less than 333MHz, otherwise you are required to patch the executable. Also find it's better to play it on pure DOS.

An easy solution is to downgrade the bus from 100MHz to 66MHz you will be able to play it without problems (4x66 = 266MHz).

I was able to run the program without patching the executable, with the Throttle program, it managed to handle the speed issue only caveat is having to run it every time you restart the computer in DOS mode. This same setup also worked in other games like Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Zool II and a few others that I tried, so as an alternative solution it might resolve some of those troublesome DOS issues on faster processors.