VOGONS

Resources with pre2k software (CAREFULLY curated) - not warez

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ElectroMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have accumulated quite a few programs, patches and utilities for the most systems I use, but "returning back to the roots" I feel at loss - not only where to get the software, but what to get. For obvious reasons there are no advertisements and word-of-mouth for those products. Most of the original companies are probably long time out of business anyway.

While you could certainly argue and say "if you need a word processor go and get the word processor", I personally feel like the "on a need to get" argument works very poorly with funky specter of programs in question. From many codecs you may require to watch a simple 320 by 240 minute long clip to bozo desktop monkeys and DOS screensavers - impossible to cover without one hell of a guide.

I would be madly excited if someone could provide a link to FTP, site or maybe share some part of his personal =<98 collection of retail copies (untouched by dirty 😈 pirates) no "modern progressives" care for anyway. I expect you'll get quite some karma for helping out a bloke who's DOS memories only include Norton Commander 😠.

Reply 3 of 4, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are sites out there that seem to operate at least semi-legitimately that provide old versions of software, not just games, that would be period correct for most retro needs. It seems these sites operate under the premise of abandonware (i.e. if the company still exists, the company doesn't seem to care about these decades-out-date versions).

Not sure on policies here about posting links to such sites, but I've found them through searching, so it's not impossible to find.

Reply 4 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"This site hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here." at the bottom of every page of VOGONS.org.

This typically extends to LINKING to abandonware, enforced for well over a decade. Sorry folks. Thread lock.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto