VOGONS

First post, by uniracers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run Doom 2 in MS-DOS mode on my Windows 98SE PC, it hangs for about 30 seconds during loading on the part that says "Init DOOM refresh daemon". During gameplay, the disk icon shows up fairly frequently, and the game will stutter or pause for a brief moment when this happens. The strange thing is, if I run the game from within Windows without rebooting to DOS, I do not experience these issues. I have only noticed this issue with Doom 2. The original Doom seems fine. Is anyone aware of what could cause a DOS game to have differences in disk performance when run under Windows versus being run in DOS mode?

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Marvin > Software is the forum that you should ask in with your older PC. This one is for newer systems.

Software

a mod might be kind enough to move this for you.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 5, by uniracers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the Doom 2 manual, it specifically says "Do not use disk caching programs like SMARTDRV". I am running the game on an AMD K6/2 350 system which is at least 4 years newer than Doom 2. I would expect that the hard disk would be up to the task of running the game smoothly. Did you know something specific to Doom 2, or were you just suggesting that SMARTDRV will help with disk performance in general?