VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there,

Just wondering if there was ever a good fix for games wanting very specific direct X versions. Don't currently have a 9x system I'm messing with, but remembering this as one of the biggest pain in the arses when it came to 9x gaming, so wanna be prepared as I get back into it.

What I mean is you maybe have Dx7 installed and try to run a game and it demands, 6.1.whatever, and won't run until you run the dxsetup off it's install disk... whereupon your dx7 games don't work until you put dx7 back on etc...

Sometimes you have what you think is an identical dx version down to the minor version number and game still doesn't like it, must be looking at file date and time or something which is different on it's install media to regular distribution version.

This seemed to be worst for dx6 games for some reason, dx7 was relatively plain sailing, then the same shit started to happen with some dx8 games, particularly around the 8.0c version.

Anyway, is there a util or something that catches request for whatever the game is looking for and just lies to it, giving it what it wants to hear, so you can have a later dx version and still run older dx games (You know, how it's meant to work.)

thanks for any hints..

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, I haven't seen that. Games that use an older DirectX version typically work fine with later DirectX versions. The older API components are included with newer releases.

I have seen 100% repeatable system freezes caused by some older drivers when combined with DirectX 7.1 and later. Primarily VXD audio drivers. It's best to stay with DirectX 7.0a or older unless you really need DirectX 8/9 for a game. In that case you might want to just go to XP or 2K.

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, a couple of my past problems were setup barfing, so maybe the clues there will fix that at least.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only have 1 game like that (Dark Reign) I got round it by installing the game and backing up the installed game.
The game itself works fine with other versions, its just the installer is too stupid to continue if it cant find whatever exact version its looking for.
Shame as its not the standard boring install routine either

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, I'll give that trick a try too.

Reply 6 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Requiem: Avenging Angel (versions 1.0 and 1.2) as the example...
Can be fixed in WinXp with ACT. The VirtualRegistry fix with the "DX7A" parameter.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).