VOGONS

First post, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

does anyone know how to get the music working working on a awe 64? I am aware it doesn't use midi for some reason. I am using windows 98 SE. the sound effects seems to be working ok.

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are two ways how you can accomplish this.
Either in "real" DOS or via a Windows 9x command prompt (DOS window).
Under DOS, you select AWE32 as the music device but, you will then be limited to the standard 1MB ROM MIDI sample set on the sound card.
If you go the Windows route, then you can load a custom General MIDI soundfont (taking into consideration your on-board memory limit).
This is not required but, can vastly improve your MIDI sample quality.
In such a case, you would select General MIDI as your music device in the game's setup menu.

Just make sure that the settings you choose in the game's setup menu matches the settings of your sound card (base port, IRQ, DMA and MIDI port) under the respective operating system.

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Collector's Edition is really just a repackaging of Doom95 with some installer and some horribly done icons. Doom95 uses the midi mapper.

(this retail release of doom was once the bane of many doomers as a lot of problem question threads rose from this)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Collector's Edition is really just a repackaging of Doom95 with some installer and some horribly done icons. Doom95 uses the midi mapper.

(this retail release of doom was once the bane of many doomers as a lot of problem question threads rose from this)

I guess it's different from The Ultimate Doom retail disc (also The Depths of Doom Trilogy compilation) and the Doom collection disc in id Anthology, which have both versions on them. That's got to be a bummer.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS 1.9

Not for "it's a dos its retro old school grafik original dos game" reasons, but more like Doom95 and D3BFG botched their ports in several embarrassing ways that make them a different experience.

id Anthology has both DOS and Windows(Doom95) versions of all the Doom games pre-D3 (though Final Doom's evilution wad is a bit broken on that edition)

apsosig.png
long live PCem