VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Pentium III system running on a Lucky Star 6P2BX2 motherboard. It's an early 440BX motherboard without the necessary VRMs to run 1.65/11.7V Coppermine CPUs. As a result, the system is stuck with a Katmai P3 450MHz but I want to upgrade it.

If at all possible, I want to pull this off without having to reformant and install everything. I happen to have an Abit BE6-II motherboard that also has a 440BX chipset, as well as a Slot 1 Coppermine P3 700MHz. Obviously slot configurations, IDE controller etc. are all different between the boards, I realize that, but the chipset is at least identival.

Now, I know that older versions of windows are pretty bad at dealing with motherboard changes when you go from say an intel chipset to an nvidia or via one, but I'm thinking Windows Me could handle this motherboard swap.

Am I setting myself up for a disaster?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 11, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, not at all !

Personally I have moved Windows 98 SE installation from P4 Prescott on i865PE to AMD Barton on KT133A.
All devices were rediscovered, drivers installed and system is working.

I suppose ME isn't so different.

BTW: Windows XP is more fussy in this topic, but after just 'R'epair from installation disk, everything is up and running with no need for reinstallation. I did it a lot between totally different hardware.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 3 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem after a successful OS transplant is that whatever you're troubleshooting in the future, you can't know what's caused by the lack of a clean install and what's something else.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My wife insisted I migrate her win98 install every upgrade from 98ish to mid 2000s, 5 times I think it was, last running on a Tbred A/K7S5A, started on a Cyrix 6x86 PR166. .... then as a last ditch effort to keep it running, I tried one of those user created service packs off a windows forum an "sp3" after MS was done with 98, and it got mangled then. I think it was an attempt to support 16:9 resolutions when LCDs got down to $99 on sale, so that tells you how late in the day it was for 98.

However, I don't know that the SP mangled it, it could have had terminal bit rot already, though I maintained it well and kept it cleaned up. Kept meaning to try it on a fresh 98 install sometime.

Well anyway, point was yah, you can move 98 across architectures pretty easy, it's less messy to delete drivers first, otherwise it might barf and restart in safe mode and you'll have to do it then.

Edit: By architectures I just mean varying x86 CPUs and chipsets, not x86 to ARM or MIPs of course..... someone gonna nitpick that 😁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Davros wrote:

Is re installing windows such a hardship ?

This.

For me the thing that cause's the problems is the hard drive controller and chipset drivers.

Reply 7 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

Is re installing windows such a hardship ?

No but reinstalling and configuring video settings for three dozen games is.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WinME apparently needs a startup recovery disk to "repair" the registry so it won't mysteriously shut down on boot when it comes to moving ME installs around.

I've had easy success moving Win98 installs around but never Me.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"No but reinstalling and configuring video settings for three dozen games is."

shouldnt be. In win96 most games save settings in a file not the registry and your registry shoould be intact
I went from xp to win 7 with over 500 games installed and it wasnt that bad
https://www.regfiles.net
Helped a lot

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 11, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Backup, Backup, Backup. Clean install all the way. Migrating was created to screw with you and your files. Any DOS game files will be iffy after a swap from 98 to Me. I vote to wipe drive then install.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 11 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What Davros said.
Its good idea to install games on another drive or partition. about 90% will retain all their settings, you just need to double click the exe.
I even do this across different PC's to save time installing, patching, configuring.

As the saying goes, your only as stable as your foundation. Win9x isn't the most stable to start with so would rest easier knowing it was a fresh install.