VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I recall having to do something with the games files. I recall using one or two files from 1.5 or the 1.6 beta and edited a config file of some sort. And no the VAC server did not work. I wish I made a note on how I did it.
It also do also recall it having problems with my older retail copy's of HL.
It was about two years ago so I don't recall all the details. But I know I got it to work without cracks.

Maybe If I get time I'll give it another go and make a log of what all I have to do to make it work.

Reply 21 of 28, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CS 1.5 will run fine.
if you wanna play online you can also use a patch WON services.
I have lots of stuff about CS 1.5(PODBOT, Maps,Waypoints)
I can send you if you want to.

Reply 22 of 28, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
.legaCy wrote:
CS 1.5 will run fine. if you wanna play online you can also use a patch WON services. I have lots of stuff about CS 1.5(PODBOT, […]
Show full quote

CS 1.5 will run fine.

Do you have a map named cs_canbunk? 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 23 of 28, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ha ha, really cool to see folks still working with older hardware! Certainly looks more alive than I thought, even 13 years after I joined this forum. Funny to think I was 13 when I joined, and I'm 26 now, and there's people still discussing buying/modifying their 386/486 and legacy Pentium builds. Perhaps one of these days, I may end up doing the same when I have more space for multiple towers. I think I might play some Half-Life tonight; such a classic I played in high school! Best of luck on your project DOSfan1994! 😀

Reply 24 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mike wrote:

Ha ha, really cool to see folks still working with older hardware! Certainly looks more alive than I thought, even 13 years after I joined this forum.

Back in those days we were more about making the old games work on new hardware than to keep the old hardware working 🤣

Mike wrote:

Funny to think I was 13 when I joined, and I'm 26 now, and there's people still discussing buying/modifying their 386/486 and legacy Pentium builds.

Goodness, we had young'uns then? I think I was 23 when I joined... I feel old now... why do I still poke my head in here... 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 28, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Back in those days we were more about making the old games work on new hardware than to keep the old hardware working :lol: […]
Show full quote
Mike wrote:

Ha ha, really cool to see folks still working with older hardware! Certainly looks more alive than I thought, even 13 years after I joined this forum.

Back in those days we were more about making the old games work on new hardware than to keep the old hardware working 🤣

Mike wrote:

Funny to think I was 13 when I joined, and I'm 26 now, and there's people still discussing buying/modifying their 386/486 and legacy Pentium builds.

Goodness, we had young'uns then? I think I was 23 when I joined... I feel old now... why do I still poke my head in here... 🤣

Yup, I was definitely a young nerd back then; nobody in my school back then knew anything about old computers and hardware. I was stuck with an old Pentium at 200 Mhz, so instead of buying new games, I bought old ones, and tried to get them to work with some slight modifications with the help of this forum!

Reply 26 of 28, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
leileilol wrote:

CS 1.6 requires XP because it requires Steam, so it would never run at all.

More of your lies, I ran 1.6 on 98 no cracks or anything even after steam dumped 98 support. It dose not need steam it can run without it just move the game files to you 9x system and install it like is a half life mod, or that did work when I last tried it a few years back.

I'll do this now and see if it works since I have 1.6 on steam. I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to connect to any VAC secured servers, but in 2017 who knows what people are on. I usually just host a server and invite friends these days anyway.

edit: Does not work. HL.exe simply returns "Failed to initialize authentication interface. Exiting..." Unless I'm making some kind of mistake, this must be cracked to work.

The "Failed to initialize authentication interface. Exiting..." windows appears to be related to using CS 1.6 in Software mode. Earlier versions of CS 1.6 work well in software mode but the latter updates and most cracked ones won't support software, only DirectX or OpenGL.

Maybe yours is starting in software mode, i think there are some command options for starting directly with D3D or OGL

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 27 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Later ones don't support Direct3D either. There's been a major change among all GoldSrc games in the linux porting phase in this decade which would bring a whole new world of regressions blowing the "it work on win9x u troll liar" credibiliity out of the water who are only knowledgeable on the game through outdated youtube videos about warez via kids recording their notepads keeping the blind misinformation train going.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 28, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:
.legaCy wrote:
CS 1.5 will run fine. if you wanna play online you can also use a patch WON services. I have lots of stuff about CS 1.5(PODBOT, […]
Show full quote

CS 1.5 will run fine.

Do you have a map named cs_canbunk? 😀

I can check but i don't remember.

leileilol wrote:

Later ones don't support Direct3D either. There's been a major change among all GoldSrc games in the linux porting phase in this decade which would bring a whole new world of regressions blowing the "it work on win9x u troll liar" credibiliity out of the water who are only knowledgeable on the game through outdated youtube videos about warez via kids recording their notepads keeping the blind misinformation train going.

However CS 1.5 will work perfectly.