VOGONS

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello people of Vogons.

I now have a copy of "Half-life" (1998) and I am still waiting for more multimedia hardware and RAM too be emulated on PCem so I can make a replica VM ofmy family's multi-media computer from when I was a kid, from the GDI to the aceletator, but enough of that let's get on to what to the subject of the topic I am about to mention.

I was wanting to ask you something about the first counter strike game which started out as a mod. How good is the framerare Counter strike 1.6 on Windows 95 A (The original version from 1995, I have the CD where you have to upgrade it from Windows 3.1) when using Voodoo 2 SLI?

Last edited by DOSfan1994 on 2017-10-25, 23:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 28, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

CS 1.6 requires XP because it requires Steam, so it would never run at all.

Ok, I would like to show you some proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDNs-tysoQ&t=286s

Reply 3 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A user-submitted system requirements site isn't an authority for anything.

EDIT: And your video link that replaced this is using a cracked steam version which obviously isn't THE currently maintained CS 1.6.

Last edited by leileilol on 2017-10-25, 21:17. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 28, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

A user-submitted system requirements site isn't an authority for anything.

EDIT: And your video link that replaced this is using a cracked steam version which obviously isn't THE currently maintained CS 1.6.

How is it not "maintained"?

Reply 8 of 28, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just download cs 1.5 and try it out. Update 1.6 and every patch since requires steam, which doesn't work on win9x anymore. Maybe a cracked version would work, but you need a cracked "no steam" version period, unless you can find a way to get steam working on 9x.

As for performance I can't say for sure. With a 1 ghz pentium 3 and single voodoo 3 2000 I had a great experience on cs 1.3 with Windows 98.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 9 of 28, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Just download cs 1.5 and try it out. Update 1.6 and every patch since requires steam, which doesn't work on win9x anymore. Maybe a cracked version would work, but you need a cracked "no steam" version period, unless you can find a way to get steam working on 9x.

As for performance I can't say for sure. With a 1 ghz pentium 3 and single voodoo 3 2000 I had a great experience on cs 1.3 with Windows 98.

Well Voodoo 2 SLI FPS is on par with Voodoo 3.

Reply 12 of 28, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

perhaps you have an old version of steam and you can prevent it from updating
did any games requiring steam include it on the cd ?

No I have the original 1998 copy, I have come to desicion that I can use CS 1.5, how good is CS 1.5 on windows 95 with voodoo 2 SLI?

Reply 13 of 28, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you can log into old versions of Steam, even if you installed one? The WON releases should run (all the way up to 1.5, I suppose) and V2 SLI is plenty enough for the HL engine.

I still screw around with Beta 5 & 6 locally sometimes.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 14 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

given his age, he wouldn't have been able to install it on steam in win9x with the Steam installer enforcing COPPA compliance. By the time he's of age, Win98 (and Win2000) support in Steam were already phased out

and CS stopped being "just a mod" in 2003. 1.6 (and all the updates for 1.6) are strictly commercial products tied to Steam. Any attempt at detanlging Steam from it or using a "fixed version" would wind you up with incompatibilities and aimbot hackers for your playerbase, as well as vulnerabilities (that HTML MOTD system in Goldsrc/Source is nasty).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 28, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
leileilol wrote:

More of your lies, I ran 1.6 on 98 no cracks or anything even after steam dumped 98 support. It dose not need steam it can run without it just move the game files to you 9x system and install it like is a half life mod, or that did work when I last tried it a few years back.

Reply 17 of 28, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

But why bother, last i heard there is still an active 1.5 playerbase

I would not doubt it. But I don't play cs anymore so I would not know.

Reply 18 of 28, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a kid in 2004 I remember playing (well, trying to) Counter Strike 1.6 on an Windows 98SE machine with AMD K5 and 64MB of RAM. It ran at something like 1FPS every 3-4 seconds. It was an modified version with ZBot installed.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 19 of 28, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
leileilol wrote:

More of your lies, I ran 1.6 on 98 no cracks or anything even after steam dumped 98 support. It dose not need steam it can run without it just move the game files to you 9x system and install it like is a half life mod, or that did work when I last tried it a few years back.

I'll do this now and see if it works since I have 1.6 on steam. I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to connect to any VAC secured servers, but in 2017 who knows what people are on. I usually just host a server and invite friends these days anyway.

edit: Does not work. HL.exe simply returns "Failed to initialize authentication interface. Exiting..." Unless I'm making some kind of mistake, this must be cracked to work.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?