VOGONS

First post, by aop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out that the GOG.com installer of the games I own there don't work in Windows 98 SE and some of the games have been patched so badly that even if I first install them on my main rig and then move them to my retro PC they still refuse to work. So I resorted to downloading disk image files of the games I already own and installing them with Daemon Tools 3.47. I can get the games to work but none of the titles I tried play any music from the CD soundtrack.

For example Interstate '76 loads the cutscenes from the emulated drive just fine but doesn't play any ingame music. The GOG version doesn't even start.

The bundled CD-player in Windows 98 SE plays the sound tracks from the emulated CD correctly.

Could disabling the physical CD-rom drive on the computer help?

Rig:
AMD K6-2/III+ (testing both CPU types)
256MB 100 MHz SDR
Gigabyte GA-5AX rev 4.1
3dfx Voodoo 3 3500
SB Live! 5.1
Seagate 80GB 7200.7
Corsair CX400W

Last edited by aop on 2017-10-27, 21:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by aop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually some of the games were .cue/.bin, I'm just too stupid to know the difference between that and ISO's.

I read an older thread with same issue:
DaemonTools No CD Audio

I wonder if the WDM drivers would help with that. The exact model of my SB Live! is SB0060, I wonder where can I get Windows 98 SE compatible WDM drivers for it (the driver package on Creative site seems to be VXD)?