VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi. I've actually posted about this on VCF forum, but haven't had much luck in fixing this issue, so this is my second resort. Basically, I'm having an issue with Win98 SE on my Averatec 5100 laptop. A long time ago, I had Win98 working flawlessly with it (other than USB flash drives, floppy drives, etc. only working in MS-DOS mode for some reason.) Anyways, I installed it again recently with all the drivers and am having a weird issue where the sound and performance lags quite oddly. System sounds get cut off, sound lags/stutters, weird performance spikes, etc. Tried a few games, and some worked okay and others like Riana Rouge (in which this is the only PC I can really run it on) had very bad sound issues. Not sure how else to describe it other than to show a quick vid I filmed of what I'm talking about at least with the sounds cutting off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kyfJnY2W7Y

Any help would be very much appreciated, because I absolutely need to have a good working Win98 setup. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First thing that comes to mind is, did you set your HDD interfaces to DMA mode in device mangler after you installed the chipset drivers?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I did. Forgot to mention that. It helped a bit, but still didn't completely fix it. Not sure if it's normal or not, but Windows calls the HDD "generic":

IMG_5346.jpg
Filename
IMG_5346.jpg
File size
96.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also, if you're curious, here's the thread I previously asked about this in:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?593 … tec-5100-Laptop

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.. Strange. Maybe it's related to the Power Managment (ACPI/APM) or an IRQ conflict.
I remember that some machines stuttered when they changed clock speed:
Some PCs automatically increase/decrease the processor speed depending on the CPU load.

In Windows XP, it's possible to change that in the energy applet in control panel
(Desktop PC instead of laptop). I don't know about 98 anymore, though.
As a last resort, you could try to install Windows ME and see what happens.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//