VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the last time I played on Wolf3D on proper hardware was 30ish years ago? So I've tried it in DOSBox and I've tried on a Pentium 2 and the sound seems off when pushing against walls and hitting that spacebar repeatedly to find hidden doors. In DOSBox and the P2, it sounds like a muffled jack-hammer. I don't remember it like that and I don't have a PC (yet) older than my P2 to try it. I can't get it running slower than it is in either environment.

So does repeatedly hitting 'open' and rubbing against walls sound like a muffled jack-hammer on period correct hardware?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know certain third party versions of Wolf3D either put a significant cool-down on those sounds or omit them entirely, but yeah I did notice this in DosBOX.

It's been a really long time since I played on a PC with a real AdLib but it did spam the sound enough for it to sound "jackhammer" like, I think.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 4, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the game was programmed to play the sound effects for running into a wall at every frame. Playing the game on a fast system at the full 70 fps will definitely sound different than playing it on a 286 at 10 fps (or whatever).

Reply 3 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:

I think the game was programmed to play the sound effects for running into a wall at every frame. Playing the game on a fast system at the full 70 fps will definitely sound different than playing it on a 286 at 10 fps (or whatever).

It was intentionally programmed that way, and you're correct, the issue is made extremely annoying when the game is hitting super high frame rates. I'm not sure if this can be disabled in the official wolf3d release.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have to recompile the game yourself and change the source code for it to not do that anymore. Either by putting a sane delay or just omitting the function call entirely.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων