Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby Xs1nX » 2017-11-25 @ 09:25

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me.

I have a Voodoo 2 installed in my system, drivers installed without error and all seems well.. I can play Forsaken,Quake2 etc accelerated just fine however UT99 just falls back to the software renderer no matter what I do.

Anyone able to offer some pointers as to what may be happening here ?
Xs1nX
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2009-12-25 @ 20:18

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby DracoNihil » 2017-11-25 @ 18:33

What does the log say, first and foremost?
User avatar
DracoNihil
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: 2011-10-09 @ 14:26
Location: Independence, KS

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby Davros » 2017-11-25 @ 19:45

does it do the same on direct 3d
ps: whats the other 3d card
Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness
User avatar
Davros
l33t
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: 2004-3-01 @ 03:08

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby clueless1 » 2017-11-25 @ 19:56

What version of UT99: original CD, GOG, etc? Check there are no conflicting .dlls in your \system sub-directory. Anything 3dfx*.dll or glide*.dll -- just move them out of that directory temporarily and try again.
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3500
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby Xs1nX » 2017-11-25 @ 22:17

Update:

Its not just UT99, but also Deathtrap Dungeon that does not work.

I am not getting the 3dfx logo in any form in any game ether. Even in Forsaken which seems to be using Glide just fine. Tomb Raider(DOS) has the 3dfx logo show however and works.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, and have cleaned out the old drivers and also done the driver sweep in the 3dfx control panel.

Version of drivers are the last reference drivers. Am getting a version mismatch error for FIXMEMMAP though in the driver sweep however.

Realy puzzled by this behaviour as it should work, but its not in some games but working in others.
Xs1nX
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2009-12-25 @ 20:18

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby clueless1 » 2017-11-26 @ 01:46

Xs1nX wrote:Update:

Its not just UT99, but also Deathtrap Dungeon that does not work.

I am not getting the 3dfx logo in any form in any game ether. Even in Forsaken which seems to be using Glide just fine. Tomb Raider(DOS) has the 3dfx logo show however and works.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, and have cleaned out the old drivers and also done the driver sweep in the 3dfx control panel.

Version of drivers are the last reference drivers. Am getting a version mismatch error for FIXMEMMAP though in the driver sweep however.

Realy puzzled by this behaviour as it should work, but its not in some games but working in others.

Dude, you have three people asking you questions to try an help diagnose and you didn't answer a single question in your reply. We can't help if we can't get relevant information from you.
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3500
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby Xs1nX » 2017-11-26 @ 02:02

DracoNihil wrote:What does the log say, first and foremost?


First error in Log says:

Cant find file for Package " GlideDrv"

clueless1 wrote:What version of UT99: original CD, GOG, etc? Check there are no conflicting .dlls in your \system sub-directory. Anything 3dfx*.dll or glide*.dll -- just move them out of that directory temporarily and try again.


Version is GOG with the Glide Wrapper stuff removed. Have removed all 3dfx dll's outside of Windows folder using Driver sweep in voodoo control panel.

Davros wrote:does it do the same on direct 3d
ps: whats the other 3d card


My other video card is a Matrox Millenium II
Xs1nX
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2009-12-25 @ 20:18

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby Xs1nX » 2017-11-26 @ 02:30

I fixed the issue in the log with UT99, however performance is still really below what I think I should be getting with hardware rendering so despite the log now saying its using Glide I'm not so sure.
Xs1nX
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2009-12-25 @ 20:18

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby clueless1 » 2017-11-26 @ 12:24

Xs1nX wrote:I fixed the issue in the log with UT99, however performance is still really below what I think I should be getting with hardware rendering so despite the log now saying its using Glide I'm not so sure.


What did you do to fix the log?

You say you think you should be getting higher performance. What are the rest of your system specs?

Here's a great write-up on Voodoo2 processor scaling on single and SLI configs: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/voodoo ... oject.html
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3500
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby Xs1nX » 2017-11-26 @ 16:20

Specs are:

Pentium 233 MMX@266Mhz
64MB Ram
Chaintech 5TTM1 Motherboard
Voodoo 2/Matrox Milleninum II
Xs1nX
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2009-12-25 @ 20:18

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby clueless1 » 2017-11-26 @ 16:31

Unreal will be slow on that system. Phil gets:
512x384: 26.64 fps
640x480: 25.46 fps
800x600: 23.71 fps

on a P233MMX at 233Mhz. You should be getting 27-30 fps at 266Mhz. Test it, if that's about where your benchmark results are, then you're in normal range.

Good luck!
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3500
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby Xs1nX » 2017-11-27 @ 00:13

clueless1 wrote:Unreal will be slow on that system. Phil gets:
512x384: 26.64 fps
640x480: 25.46 fps
800x600: 23.71 fps

on a P233MMX at 233Mhz. You should be getting 27-30 fps at 266Mhz. Test it, if that's about where your benchmark results are, then you're in normal range.

Good luck!


At 640x480 I'm getting average of 25fps, lowest of 9fps and highest of 52fps.
Xs1nX
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2009-12-25 @ 20:18

Re: Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY Glide issue

Postby clueless1 » 2017-11-27 @ 00:59

Xs1nX wrote:
clueless1 wrote:Unreal will be slow on that system. Phil gets:
512x384: 26.64 fps
640x480: 25.46 fps
800x600: 23.71 fps

on a P233MMX at 233Mhz. You should be getting 27-30 fps at 266Mhz. Test it, if that's about where your benchmark results are, then you're in normal range.

Good luck!


At 640x480 I'm getting average of 25fps, lowest of 9fps and highest of 52fps.

Sounds like everything is performing normally then. Awesome. :)
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3500
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US


Return to Software

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cyclone3d and 1 guest